Do I seriously have 8 cockerels?

Pics
Have read that one......but I don't eat organ 'meat'.
I am tho, an anatomy nerd and find it all fascinating.
After learning about chickens and slaughtering them was a bit tickled to ID nads in grocery birds, just didn't recognize what they were until my chickeneering education began.

@Tesumph how old was that little nad carrier?
5 weeks and 1 day. I meant to take individual photos of them all for 5 week mark but I’ve been feeling under the weather.

Ok. I don't know much about it.
How do people get the experience? Practice on DIS or failure to thrives?
No, it’s not invasive if done properly, it’s done on hatchery chicks routinely. I guess people just learn from someone else who already knows how to?
It’s not really worth it unless you’re actively hatching out and selling “sexed” day old chicks, IMHO.

Sorry about snothead, I'm glad it was one you didn't care for though. I've got zero to add to the gender conversation, still learning myself, but I wanted to say that Whitey is sure a cutie. Hope it is a pullet, like everyone thinks. Are you not able/wanting to keep a roo?
I’m able, and really wouldn’t mind having one, but I only intend to keep a small amount of hens.
If I get any roos I will most likely raise them to sexual maturity and if they’re nice they’ll go to my MIL’s flock. If not, we’ll use the meat.

I agree, Whitey is precious. :love

I’m able, and really wouldn’t mind having one, but I only intend to keep a small amount of hens.
If I get any roos I will most likely raise them to sexual maturity and if they’re nice they’ll go to my MIL’s flock. If not, we’ll use the meat.

I agree, Whitey is precious. :love

The suckiest part is that you specifically ordered pullets. :rolleyes:

The suckiest part is that you specifically ordered pullets. :rolleyes:
Exactly. It’s not that I have unrealistic expectations.. we wanted 5-6 hens so we ordered 8 pullets to account for death and roos. That sounds fair, right?

What I’m worried about is if I only have 3-4 pullets and I want to bump the numbers up. It would be a PITA to integrate 2 or 3 chicks (and do the gender gamble, again).

If you're not super picky on breed you could check at a nearby farm store. Ours has had some older (3-5) week chicks every time I go in lately. They had some 2-3 day old AustraWhites I've got my eye on lol. I'm hoping they have some that get a little older where I can at least try sight sexing them. I'm about 97% sure all of mine that hatched are cockerels. :th
If you can find any they should integrate pretty easily with that little of an age gap.

Exactly. It’s not that I have unrealistic expectations.. we wanted 5-6 hens so we ordered 8 pullets to account for death and roos. That sounds fair, right?

What I’m worried about is if I only have 3-4 pullets and I want to bump the numbers up. It would be a PITA to integrate 2 or 3 chicks (and do the gender gamble, again).

Back
Top Bottom