Do I Still Need To Let Shipped Eggs Sit?

EggPlanter

Songster
May 21, 2015
I had hatching eggs arrive at the post office today, but have to wait till tomorrow to pick up. Since they have been sitting at post office when I pick them up do I have to let their air sacks reform still, or can I put them directly in incubator? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

drumstick diva

Still crazy after all these years.
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Aug 26, 2009
Out to pasture
How long a drive is it to and fro the post office? That's going to shake them up again. I would let them sit another day. Others may other different opinions so wait for them.

Yorkshire Coop

BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Aug 16, 2014
UK
My Coop
My Coop
Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I agree with drumstick diva on letting them sit a little longer if your drive is going to be bumpy. Once you set them in the incubator you can also not turn them for a couple of days to give them that bit of extra time. Here is an excellent article on incubating including a section on shipped eggs. Here is the link ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

Wishing you the very best of luck with your eggs. Be sure to ask any questions that you may have, everyine here to help and very friendly.

Enjoy BYC :frow

NickyKnack

Love is Silkie soft!
6 Years
Oct 13, 2014
Don't like your attitude, change your latitude
Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. :frow

EggPlanter

Songster
May 21, 2015
Thanks for the welcome everybody! The post of is only about 5minutes away. I'm probably still going to let them sit for a little bit, then I will not turn them for for the two days. Thanks again!

Gingerwood

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2015
Welcome to BYC! I buy 800 to 1000 hatching eggs per season (ornamental pheasants) and air cell detachment is a major concern. If your experienced in candling your eggs, with a trained eye you can see the air sac. The amount of detachment should determine the "rest" time needed. Usually 12-24 hours. View the "101" video provided by another member above this post to educate yourself on hatching shipped eggs. 50% is an average reported hatch for shipped eggs, but by learning all you can you can increase your hatch on shipped eggs far beyond. I regularly obtain 75 to 90% on shipped eggs by following protocol -candling and resting the eggs.

Good Luck and welcome to BYC

Top Bottom