Do I Still Need To Let Shipped Eggs Sit?

EggPlanter

Songster
May 21, 2015
I had hatching eggs arrive at the post office today, but have to wait till tomorrow to pick up. Since they have been sitting at post office when I pick them up do I have to let their air sacks reform still, or can I put them directly in incubator? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

How long a drive is it to and fro the post office? That's going to shake them up again. I would let them sit another day. Others may other different opinions so wait for them.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I agree with drumstick diva on letting them sit a little longer if your drive is going to be bumpy. Once you set them in the incubator you can also not turn them for a couple of days to give them that bit of extra time. Here is an excellent article on incubating including a section on shipped eggs. Here is the link ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

Wishing you the very best of luck with your eggs. Be sure to ask any questions that you may have, everyine here to help and very friendly.

Enjoy BYC :frow

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. :frow

Thanks for the welcome everybody! The post of is only about 5minutes away. I'm probably still going to let them sit for a little bit, then I will not turn them for for the two days. Thanks again!

Welcome to BYC! I buy 800 to 1000 hatching eggs per season (ornamental pheasants) and air cell detachment is a major concern. If your experienced in candling your eggs, with a trained eye you can see the air sac. The amount of detachment should determine the "rest" time needed. Usually 12-24 hours. View the "101" video provided by another member above this post to educate yourself on hatching shipped eggs. 50% is an average reported hatch for shipped eggs, but by learning all you can you can increase your hatch on shipped eggs far beyond. I regularly obtain 75 to 90% on shipped eggs by following protocol -candling and resting the eggs.

Good Luck and welcome to BYC

Back
Top Bottom