Do I still use the ceramic eggs after they lay?

Steflily

In the Brooder
Mar 9, 2021
Long Island, NY
We have a ceramic egg in each of our two nesting boxes to show them where to go. Now that one of our three chickens layed their first egg, should I keep the ceramic eggs in there or remove them? We got our first egg today. The other two have not started laying eggs yet.
Thanks so much for the advice!

Only issues with leaving them in would be people collecting them with the real eggs.
Our youngest has done this many times. We have some people come check our chickens while we go on a trip. Their payment is all the eggs they want. They too have collected the fake eggs. What's even funnier is they hardboiled the fakes and once they realized they are fake thought we played a trick on them. I had to show them on here what they are used for. :lau

Only issues with leaving them in would be people collecting them with the real eggs.
This is why I used golf balls, like several others. An additional advantage with golf balls is the dimpling makes it possible to ID a golf ball vs an egg without even looking, so I can put my hand under a hen and feel for eggs.

I would leave them in - it doesn't do any harm to keep them in there, but removing them can cause birds to decide the site is no longer safe for laying.
Ditto Dat!

I leave one fake egg in each nest all the time, for 7 years now.
It can help 'spread the love'.

An additional advantage with golf balls is the dimpling makes it possible to ID a golf ball vs an egg without even looking, so I can put my hand under a hen and feel for eggs.

Yes, this.

I can rummage around under a broody to pull out eggs and leave the golf balls behind.

This is why I used golf balls, like several others. An additional advantage with golf balls is the dimpling makes it possible to ID a golf ball vs an egg without even looking, so I can put my hand under a hen and feel for eggs.
I had golf balls before. Found these wooden eggs and they look just like a maran egg. So good clean fun. Haha

Back
Top Bottom