Do jumbo quail smell worse than standard?

dand883

Chirping
Jan 7, 2020
We've had our small flock of 7 standard quail for about a year now and we recently got 9 jumbo chicks. Pretty much after the first week i couldn't wait to get them outside, they stunk!

A few weeks later of constant brooder cleanings and foul smells we finally got them outside with a heat lamp inside the hutch until things warm up a bit and they fluff out more, but even when they're outside the smell is noticeably stronger and different smelling around the chicks hutch vs the older birds hutch.

I got the older birds at a few weeks old and in the summer, so we never had them as chicks, or inside, but with the difference around their hutch outside i know i;m not just imagining it.

Does anyone else notice a difference in smell between different birds? Is it because the new chicks are jumbo, so their jumbo sized poops are just that much worse, or is it a colour thing? The old birds are pharaoh and italian and the new ones are white, tibetan and tuxedo. Is it all in my head?

Could be different gut biomes or just more poo volume. I have jumbo and an assortment of regular size in lots of colors currently, I haven't noticed a big difference. Try adding a bit of apple cider vinegar with the mother to their waterer. Quail have a naturally acidic digestive tract so it's not harmful, they get good probiotics, and that should help cut down on the smell as well.

Edit to ask what food you have them on?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom