Do Lavender Orpingtons breed true?

New2TheCoop

Songster
8 Years
Feb 5, 2011
Central, LA
I was wondering if Lavender Orpingtons breed true? Do I need Black Orpingtons in the pen with them? Or a whole flock of Lavs? Just curious, so any advice is welcome

I believe so, yes. The reason some people have Blacks in their pens is to achieve better size and type.

Last edited:
From what I've read and been told, true lavenders do indeed breed true. Lavender splits will have a percent of lavender and a percent of black. I've also heard that black is infused into the line every few generations to achieve better color.

Thanks you guys! I've been looking at hatching eggs on here, eBay & craigslist and I see how popular they are. Although I personally like the BBS orpingtons, seems like there aren't many people buying them.

Hi!
frow.gif
to be honest I think it just depends on personal preference as to what people are buying in what area. I have both lavenders and bbs, this year I have sold more bbs than lavender eggs. Maybe you should just get some of both!!
wink.png

Quote:
Yes, lavender breeds true when bred to another lavender. Black birds are used to improve type and feather quality.

The lavender orpingtons on the market are seriously lacking in the type department. If you were interested in breeding lavenders, I would suggest getting quality black birds from a member of the United Orpington Club who shows their birds to breed the lavenders to.

pips&peeps :

Quote:
Yes, lavender breeds true when bred to another lavender. Black birds are used to improve type and feather quality.

The lavender orpingtons on the market are seriously lacking in the type department. If you were interested in breeding lavenders, I would suggest getting quality black birds from a member of the United Orpington Club who shows their birds to breed the lavenders to.

Yeap, that is exactly what I did this year was breed my lavs to my Exhibition stock for more improvement. Should be some aweome looking splits.
thumbsup.gif

pips&peeps :

Quote:

very well said last year we bought lavs an did not know much about what we were doing we ended up buying bad looking lavs for alot of money.we are selling them all an starting over got some nice laves this year an is now hatching some nice big blacks to go with it 50-75% english.some of the lavs we have lay blue eggs some people love it we did not.lol thanks to you we figured out it was our lavs doing it.
wink.png

So are you saying I need to buy a black orp rooster when i get my lav orps? I am ordering 8 lav orps, hinkjc the breeders says, from www.malapinefarm.com and plan on breeding them and selling chicks. So do I? And do I just breed and look out for long legs and breed for the wider heads and cull out all of the odd looking ones??? I could use some pointers, please!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom