Do mama chickens spit worms into baby chickens' mouths?

chickensducks&agoose

Songster
11 Years
Aug 28, 2008
New England.. the cold part.
I was wandering around the Random Ramblings thread, and saw someone say that mother chickens chew up worms and spit them into baby chicken's mouths. I know robins and other nesting birds do this, but chicken chicks aren't born all bald and naked and they actually can see and walk and peck, i just have never seen the mama hen do that... any experts?

lol.png
I read that too and wondered the same thing!!!
gig.gif
(I'm subscribing.)

LOL NO!

What the momma hen can do is to show the chick that the worm is yummy to eat, so the chick has to peck for it. Or she would pick it up, cluck and baby chicks would grab the worm.

Here's the quote

"instead of milk the chicks need mom to chew up worms and spit them into the babies mouth. She probably doesn't know the time and dedication it takes people to chew the worms properly and make sure that each and every baby baby gets it's share of the meal."

Man, there's no way I'm going to be one of those people who chews worms up properly...If I have to eat one, I'm gonna swallow it whole.

chickensducks&agoose :

Here's the quote

"instead of milk the chicks need mom to chew up worms and spit them into the babies mouth. She probably doesn't know the time and dedication it takes people to chew the worms properly and make sure that each and every baby baby gets it's share of the meal."

Man, there's no way I'm going to be one of those people who chews worms up properly...If I have to eat one, I'm gonna swallow it whole.

Oh, so totally out of context!
gig.gif

That was a sarcastic response in the line of that particular thread, regarding stupid questions - and some frivolous answers.
lau.gif

chickensducks&agoose :

Here's the quote

I am all over that one! Give up a good worm... Hah, not!

Jenny​

Quote:
Oh, so totally out of context!
gig.gif

That was a sarcastic response in the line of that particular thread, regarding stupid questions - and some frivolous answers.
lau.gif

I saw that, too, and knew it was sarcastic, but it was funny. However, it is true that some people think that precocial birds, like chickens and ducks, drink milk or are fed by their parents directly.

Back
Top Bottom