Do motion sensor lights help deter predators?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by thecreekhouse, Dec 7, 2018.

1. thecreekhouse

thecreekhouse Songster

Feb 26, 2015
    East Tennessee
    5D64D1FF-507A-4523-80AF-FC723338FA51.jpeg This is my coop and run. A master carpenter built it for me and it’s very well constructed. However I want to be sure that I’m doing everything I can to deter predators. So my question is, would it be helpful to install solar motion activated lights on the coop and run so that any predators who approach at night are lit up and (hopefully) deterred? Are lights a good repellant? Thanks for any input.

OhZark Biddies likes this.
  2. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    I use motion lights on my coop and find them particularly helpful in winter when I'm often tending to the birds in the dark. I don't know that they deter predators, but a quick glance out my window and I know if something is lurking near the coop if the light's been tripped and I can go check on things.

3. OhZark Biddies

OhZark Biddies Crowing

Apr 13, 2018
    south central Missouri
    My Coop
    I have a couple of solar powered motion lights over a bird feeder to see when critters visit at night... raccoons, deer, etc pay no attention to the lights coming on and going off.

chickengeorgeto and Trish1974 like this.
  4. Molpet

Molpet Free Ranging

my coons and such paid attention for about a week to motion lights, then they got used to them.. same with the "predator eye lights" skunks never cared
    predator proof coop, my dog and electric fence is about all that worked.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have some motion lights and some game cameras. From my observation, the predators will eventually get used to them. I would see my light go off and sure enough there would be a predator on the camera.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Short answer is, No!

Geena and Trish1974 like this.
  7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    :thumbsup

8. A person who depends on motion detectors to discourage chicken predators is soon separated from his or her chickens.

9. tigger19687

tigger19687 Songster

I wouldn't want to waste $$ on lights just so a coon or other animal can come and see better in my yard.......... especially near my Koi pond !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: