Do my chicks still need the heat lamp

stina3246

Songster
9 Years
Mar 25, 2010
2 of my chicks are a little over 3 weeks and one is about 2 weeks. Do they still need the heat lamp 24-7? They live inside and my house is about 70-75. If I have the lamp on they do not huddle under it but move around comfortably. As soon as I turn it off they all run to where the light was and huddle together. It's been off now for about an hour and now they are all up scratching and pecking and eating normally.

Just keep an eye on their behavior. If they huddle they are probably chilly, should be ok though. Also, do you turn down the heat at night? They may cry/peep when it gets dark-we usually give the babies a night light for a couple of days at night until they get accustomed to the darker conditions.

I have kept the lamp on 24-7 since I brought them home and they definitely let me know when they need more or less but my poor bunny and Canary Winged Keet in the same room are getting little sleep so I want to start turning it off at least at night.

We had a power outage a few nights ago for about 45 minutes. My chicks were in the brooder in the kitchen and started crying. Not because they were cold, but because they were scared of the dark.
lol.png
Too cute.

I like the night light idea. I have about 100 6 week olds, and tried to turn the lamp off because of warm conditions. 2 ended up smothered, so be careful about them getting scared.

I can't remember where I got this but I was advised or read somewhere that it was good to turn off the light for like 15-30 minutes each day so they know the bright thing goes dark from time to time. My girls get agitated but not as badly as when we first brought them home.

We have our 3 week olds in the kitchen, and it's 70 in our house. we have shut off the heat lamp for the most part. They seem to be comfy without it, and i put a regular lightbulb in a lamp to shine into the brooder during the day.

Back
Top Bottom