Heat lamp

aworth

In the Brooder
Aug 16, 2023
So I just bought some chicks from TSC & we live in Louisiana. The temperature is currently 83 outside tonight and that is where the chicks are(on my big carport)
Do I need to leave the heat lamp on all night long or even at all ?

Attachments

• 332BE2F0-4BFD-4109-967E-D82786ADEDA5.jpeg
    332BE2F0-4BFD-4109-967E-D82786ADEDA5.jpeg
    749.8 KB · Views: 8
Do you have a thermometer so you can determine how hot it is on the floor under the lamp? I'm afraid it will get too hot for them in that setup. It should not be warmer than 90°F. Ideally the coop should have a cooler area that the chicks can move into in case they get too warm. In this picture, the chicks have moved away from the heated area under the lamp, so they may be too warm. I can't tell how many chicks you have, I only see a couple. If you have half a dozen or so, they can huddle together to keep warm, but if you only have two they may need a heat source. Can you exchange the red heat lamp for a regular bulb, say a 60 or 75 watt one, that won't get quite so hot?

Do you have a thermometer so you can determine how hot it is on the floor under the lamp? I'm afraid it will get too hot for them in that setup. It should not be warmer than 90°F. Ideally the coop should have a cooler area that the chicks can move into in case they get too warm. In this picture, the chicks have moved away from the heated area under the lamp, so they may be too warm. I can't tell how many chicks you have, I only see a couple. If you have half a dozen or so, they can huddle together to keep warm, but if you only have two they may need a heat source. Can you exchange the red heat lamp for a regular bulb, say a 60 or 75 watt one, that won't get quite so hot?
I have 4 ! They have been huddling! Are you saying a regular light bulb or an alternative heat bulb ? I may have a light bulb laying around for now !

Back
Top Bottom