Do my hens have enough space? Do i need a roof?

Kennaroo

In the Brooder
Jan 5, 2021
Central Oklahoma
I'm in the planning phase of a coop and run for 6 standard size chickens. I definitely want a 6x6 coop, so I have room to grow the flock up to 9-10 if needed in the far future. My dilemma is with the run. I'm not currently comfortable with free ranging as we do not have a fence around our property, and I see hawks and owls almost daily it seems. We have coyotes, raccoons, snakes, and the rogue dog or two every now and then. Plus, neighbors on the other side of the creek a couple hundred ft away. I was thinking of a 12x12 run, but I'm beginning to worry about the budget. I'd like to have a roof covering at least half the run, but is that necessary or would netting over top be okay? Would a 10x10 be sufficient for 6 hens or would i need to downsize flock?

I use 6' chain link panels for my runs. As I find more on CL I snap them up and enlarge my runs. I usually can find 6x10 panels for $20-50 each. 6' let's you walk around without having to hunch over if you throw a cover on it. I've never had a security breach and my runs are not covered. My runs are probably 60x60 but I still need more for grow out pens.You just need 2 plus one with a gate and you're in business. Enlarge it as you find more. A roofed structure built off the coop will help keep the coop cool in the summer and give them a spot to sun themselves in the winter. Another run idea is to go with a hoop coop. New the panels run $25 each. On CL you can find then for free to $15. 2 panels will give you an 8x8 run. Each additional panel will add 4'. You do need some construction tools and skills but nothing extraordinary.
You can also find for free, swing sets and trampoline frames that make a great starting point for cheap runs.

As long as you remember to provide 4 square feet per bird in the coop and 10 square feet per bird in the run you should be good on the sizes and expansions.

I like a hybrid setup with the run partially covered with a solid roof and partially covered in wire so that the chickens can choose sun or shade, wet or dry. If you don't cover the run you'll need to provide some structures to cover things like the feeder/waterer and some sheltered places for the chickens to go when they wish to.

My current setup is temporary with electric poultry netting so I have a cheap picnic fly set over the coop (due to lack of natural shade), a shelter for the feeder/waterer, a pallet on blocks, and overturned plastic chairs to give the chickens places to go.

1102201634a.jpg

0911201917b (2).jpg

I have a 6X6 coop and have 11 birds in it currently. It's a little tight but they are mainly in there to sleep, eat and lay. My run is a 10X10 dog kennel that I purchased at Tractor Supply with a tarp-ish type roof (I've since built a permanent roof over the chain link fencing). The 10X10 space is tight so I have a movable temporary fence that I set up to "free-range" that doesn't have a roof but has tree cover.
I live in NE MI so it's snowy and cold here now, they won't go in the snow and so are not using the free-range space right now. So far we haven't had any issues but I really feel the 10X10 space is too small and will look to expand it in the future.

Should I really be so concerned about letting them out? Our property has a lot of trees for cover. Would they wonder far, especially if I'm out with them? Does a rooster truly make a difference when it comes to aerial predators?

Should I really be so concerned about letting them out?
Our property has a lot of trees for cover.
Would they wonder far, especially if I'm out with them?
Does a rooster truly make a difference when it comes to aerial predators?
Yes.
They'll go father and farther the longer they are out.
Sometimes yes, mostly no.

Best to have a good sized secure run and range when you want.

I use a 20x10 ft dog kennel for the run and I have 7 chickens. They seem to have plenty of space to run around and play. I cover half of it with a tarp and the other half with deer netting. It works for me.

Back
Top Bottom