Do my hens have lice or mites? Pics included

NotableNancy

Songster
7 Years
Dec 28, 2012
Pennsylvania
I put this under emergencies and diseases but I think it should be under Predators and Pests...

I have 13 hens just over 1 yr. old. I got them from Meyers as chicks. No rooster. None appear sick, all eat well, I get between 7-11 eggs/day and no lethargy, puffing up or bad looking poo. No signs of worms in the poo.
They are in a prefab coop bought new and have about 3 sq ft/bird but only use it to lay eggs/sleep. I use sand on the floor, pdz on poop board and a light sprinkle of seven on the bottom of nest boxes with a mix of shavings/straw on top. They have a very large run with sand in it. I clean the poop board and coop floor with a kitty litter scoop every single day and use the kitty scoop in the run 2-3X a day as well. From what I can tell it is a very clean area. They are not lounging in their poo all day is what I'm getting at. They don't free range.

Right now I'm feeding Agway Egg layer crumbles feed with oyster shell offered in another container as well. I recently switched(maybe 4-6 weeks ago) to this from Purina Layena although they are still finishing up the Purina pellets. I have most of the feeder with the Agway feed and just a corner of the pellets in there. They get sunflower seeds, dried meal worms, cracked corn, some veggie/meat/fruit scraps, scrambled eggs (something every day of the above, not all in one day!) and all winter I was taking their feed and making a mash with warm water to warm them up. They love that and think it is a treat.

Now for the issues:
The first pic is my BA with a balding head and she also has a bare belly. No redness just bare of feathers. She has never been broody. Her head is not bloody or scabby, but bare and a little pink.
Last pic is my BR, her head is fine but belly is bare, dry skin and as you can see horribly red.
Middle pic is my Cuckoo Marans and it looks like she just has really bad dry skin on her belly
I have a CW with balding head, not nearly as bad as BA, more like thinning feathers, and no other issues
I have a Cochin with bare belly no redness and she was broody a few times last summer so I thought her bare belly was from pulling feathers out cause she was broody but I didn't notice any of this happening until about 1-2 weeks ago.

All other birds look fine. I went out tonight after dark with a flashlight and didn't see anything on them. No signs of lice (unless someone tells me pic #2 are the eggs but it just looks like dry skin to me)
I don't see any signs of a dominant hen mounting the 2 with balding heads but I don't watch them 24/7. I do have one RIR that patrols the nests constantly and decides who lays and does peck their heads/neck to get out of the nest. I am in the process of finding her a new home.

I am at a loss. I completely cleaned the coop and sprayed the walls/floor with liquid Sevin yesterday and don't have a problem doing them too but with the redness on my BR and all the other bare belly/chests I didn't want to irritate it further.

Do you think this is lice or mites? Worms?

Thank you for your help!

Is regular acv effective or do you have to get that special kind with the "mother" (whatever that is) to make an effect on parasites?
Any vinegar can be mildly antiseptic...but it is not an antibacterial so to speak, it can inhibit the growth of some things because of it's acidic nature.

Active ACV (the kind with the 'mother'-which is a colony of cellulose and acetic acid bacteria) can help promote the growth of good bacteria in the gut.

Is regular acv effective or do you have to get that special kind with the "mother" (whatever that is) to make an effect on parasites?

Yes I keep the kind with mother. By raising the PH level it makes the area hostile to many forms of bacteria. Diluted is best, but we have applied direct to rain scald and ringworm on horses with great results. Yes there are a lot of people toting acv, DE, garlic just to mention a few, but I have personally been using acv for many years. Long before google I purchased Pat Colebys series of books on natural animal care . Pat is in her 80's and has forgotten more than most people will ever know. Her books have saved several animals on my farm .

I should have said that ACV helps to maintain the correct PH level in the body.

Last edited:
Wish I could help but I don't know....interested in seeing if anyone can tell you tho....great pics of effected birds and good back info.

This looks to be a skin infection. The birds all have similar crusting and then an irritated area. You might want to try washing the birds and cleaning the coop.

I dusted each one today with Sevin and cleaned nest boxes, sprayed wood with Sevin, used Sevin powder in there and then put in new, clean shavings. No more straw in the boxes.
I'm thinking because of our wicked winter, tons of snow and constantly wet outside, maybe they weren't dust bathing enough?

Hoping this did the trick. I did put Pick No More on my BA's head and just ordered NuStock to try this later as well. Maybe 2 diff. issues going on. My BA's head getting picked at and mites or lice?
All the time it took me to coat them all in Sevin I never saw a bug or egg but I guess that doesn't mean they weren't there.

Hopefully it's not a reaction to the Sevin because then they're doomed
he.gif

If this doesn't help I will look into washing them and the coop is now brand spankin' clean!!

I hope that helps the birds.You should be very careful and use gloves because some infections can be spread to humans. I really don't think it's mites or lice especially if you didn't see any around the wound. This has to be a skin infection or bacteria. Best of luck!

There is one type of mite that only attacks the birds at night on their roost. If you cleaned the coop then you probably got rid of them.

Just a note on washing; it removes their natural oils. You probably already know that.

David

Back
Top Bottom