1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do NOT use hydrogen peroxide!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Angelpoo, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Angelpoo

Angelpoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2012
    Just putting this out there... Do NOT use hydrogen peroxide to ckean your animals cuts... Actually you shouldn't be using it on yourself either. It's a wonder how us as people are not informed about this by the medical system! The bubbles it creates will only push the infection and bacteria down! Flush with warm water and soap for minor wounds. If worse visit a vet.... Or your doctor if its you..

2. I had always heard not to use it to clean a wound because it will kill the good repairing cells. But I did more research and as long as you only use it when you first treat it, before it has had time to heal over, it will be fine and get rid of the dead cells. I have used it numerous times on a wide variety of wounds and never had any problems, and they heal fine. Honestly, it is a somewhat pointless step, but I do it anyways.

How were you informed about this? Was it a reputable source?

~~Ms. B :)

3. Angelpoo

Angelpoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2012
    I found this out when my horse was caught in the fence and I was looking up if I should use hydrogen peroxide to clean it... Everyone has there own scientific studies... Like it will kill the good tissue and the bad making it a longer healing time and a higher chance of getting infection. I read up more about it online and this is what nurses in there years of schooling are learning about. This is why you will rarely see them use it on a cut. Really for a chicken you want it to heal as soon as possible so I use warm water and soap to clean it out.

4. NativeBeauty

NativeBeauty Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Battle Creek, Michigan
    I am a registered cardiac nurse and chicken enthusiast. We use half strength hydrogen peroxide to cleanse sternal wounds after open heart surgery...I have noticed it decreases the incidence of kyloid scar tissue developement (otherwise known as proud flesh in the animal world).

5. Malibu99

Malibu99 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2012
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    Huh. I've been using it for 6 months on scrapes and stuff and they heal faster than they did before HP. Who knows.. Maybe I'm just odd. LOL.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  6. LuvinChickens

LuvinChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    Northern, CA
    When my sister started using HP, every cut got infected. She stopped and now all cuts heal quite nicely.

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I use betadine or chlorhexadine.

8. Crafty-Duck

Crafty-Duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Lucky Duck Pond
    [​IMG]good to know!!!!

9. frpepper

frpepper New Egg

Aug 13, 2014
    not sure where you got your info. but I have been using it for about 15 years, and I have never had a problem with it. I have given it to all of my live stock including chickens. They are healthier and taste a lot better, but please send me your source of info. Thanks

10. tridentk9

tridentk9 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2014
    It kind of depends on the wound. It's not known as a disinfectant though it does disinfect to some degree., The bubbling though can physically loosen or remove dirt, blood, etc-the organic matter that can delay disinfection.

In my experience, if you're going to suture the wound then something other than hydrogen peroxide should be used as a cleaner/disinfectant. If you're allowing the wound to scab in, hydrogen peroxide is OK. If you're trying to dry out a moist rash or hot spot it can be very useful. Infected and/or deep wounds should be flushed with a weak betadine or chlorhex solution (not scrub). Scrubs are skin surface only- about the same as peroxide though scrubs do a much better job of disinfecting. It works fairly well as an emetic for mammals that can vomit.

Hydrogen peroxide does not last for long once the bottle is opened, it breaks down to water and Oxygen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by