Do peafowl kill snakes?

Streakinstones

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 9, 2010
Waldorf, Maryland
I have never owned any peafowl but after reading this in one of my chicken books I am ready to go and buy one tomorrow! The book said they kill and eat snakes and we have a copperhead problem here. Does anyone know if this is true?

a copperhead is poisonous. A peafowl or anyother poultry bird is most likely not going to kill your problem with copperheads, one bite and the bird is dead
he.gif

Try calling someone who can deal with that kinda problem

Last edited:
Yes streakin ,, peafowl can ad will kill copperheads.. the dont always see them when they move into a pen at night. Most of the time they kill the smaller ons as I have never found a laarge dead one ,,,large as 24 inchs) I have watched 5-6 ft rat snakes crawl between peafowl and them not chalange the snake. Go to my web sitge http://boxess.com/connerhills under copperhead corners,, Now have propblems with coons and have not found where they are getting into the pen... I have lost all of my redgoldens all of the silkies most of the cochins and only shot one so far.. connerhills

Hi G,
Sounds like raccoons are becoming a big problem for everyone.
I would really hate to see snakes in with the peafowl. That is one nasty predator that we don't have bothering the fowl. However we do have them in our wooded, rocky areas of the farm.

Took a little while for us to find where the coons came in too.
Look up, they had pushed, chewed, then squeezed their way through welded wire up in the eaves of the barn. Then chewed through the netting which was easy for them. Sat in wait for them numerous times and I was amazed at how quick, agile, and mean they can be.
Hope you catch your problem in a hurry.

Well, yesterday I moved the game camera and added one of those 2 eyes predator Nite eyes from enterplex solar inc. and he never came back last night .. I was down at the pens about 4;15 this morning and everything was still.. I think I will put up another one today and see .. I have never had coons at that pen for 12 yrs and I live in a wooded area right by the river. The red eye got old and stopped and then they showed up .. I just got the new ones yesterday .. so we will see. only shot one but they got about 20 + birds. george

Thanks guys. I am really wanting to try Peafowl. I would feel bad if one did get bit though. I haven't seen any really big snakes but im sure their around. Do Peafowl tend to scratch your vehicles up? A friend of mine told me they tried to roost on his car.

My peafowl are free range and they do get on the cars. I have not noticed any scratches but people sure look at ya funny when you go to town with peafowl poo on top your car, I have also heard turkeys are great for snake control.

George,

Do those red eye predator night boxes work? Have seen them advertised a lot but did not hear from anyone who had one if they worked keeping critters out.

We have never had a peafowl get on our vehicles.
One male thought the combine front wheel was cool and jumped on it a few times. But not any other vehicles.
But I have heard from people who have had that happen.
hmm.png

I have used them for 5-6 yrs and have not had a problem in this area untill it went bad. I got the one with 2 eyes and put it up last night and the coons did not come around. I am going to put another one out tonight and see if they stay away. george

Back
Top Bottom