do peeps need light 24/7?

Madcap621

Songster
10 Years
Oct 30, 2009
Middle Tennessee
I am hoping to bring home my 2nd batch of peeps on New Years Day. The eggs went into the 'bator on the 9th. In anticipation of the event, I have spent much of the day getting my brooder ready: cleaning and sterilizing crate, litter tray, feeder, etc. Instead of going thru' 3 sizes, I have decided to go straight to the #200
lol.png

I read in another thread that a black-light bulb gives more heat/wattage than regular incandescents, without keeping the chickens awake, and have put one in with my 9+ week-olds on the porch. I want them to acclimate to the time/light cycle.

I am wondering if I could use one in my brooder as well. I don't know if non-broiler chicks need to eat and drink 24/7. I know we kept lights on in the broiler houses when I was a kid BUT, chicks hatched by hens only get the light their mothers get - right? Opinions please.
hu.gif
Raising these for pullets, not broilers.
bow.gif
PLEASE cross fingers for girls!
fl.gif

Last edited:
I use a red heat lamp and they sleep just fine with it. I did use a reg. light bulb and I personally do not think they did well with it. Too much light all the time. White light will cause them to peck at each other. The black light would work too if it puts off enough heat for them.

Red heat lamp works best for me, it gives off a dim, less irritating light to the chicks so they can eat or drink 24/7. Like to put it to one side, so the chicks can go to the other side of their container to adjust their heat if needed.

Thanks for the feed-back! I have time to check on temp control so will check out both red and black lites. I know that at least one source says white lite makes no difference, but feel lower light does better. Sounds like a great science project to me!!! [ have a 6th grader who may need a science project
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom