1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

do peeps need light 24/7?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Madcap621, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Madcap621

Madcap621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I am hoping to bring home my 2nd batch of peeps on New Years Day. The eggs went into the 'bator on the 9th. In anticipation of the event, I have spent much of the day getting my brooder ready: cleaning and sterilizing crate, litter tray, feeder, etc. Instead of going thru' 3 sizes, I have decided to go straight to the #200 [​IMG]

I read in another thread that a black-light bulb gives more heat/wattage than regular incandescents, without keeping the chickens awake, and have put one in with my 9+ week-olds on the porch. I want them to acclimate to the time/light cycle.

I am wondering if I could use one in my brooder as well. I don't know if non-broiler chicks need to eat and drink 24/7. I know we kept lights on in the broiler houses when I was a kid BUT, chicks hatched by hens only get the light their mothers get - right? Opinions please. [​IMG] Raising these for pullets, not broilers. [​IMG] PLEASE cross fingers for girls! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I use a red heat lamp and they sleep just fine with it. I did use a reg. light bulb and I personally do not think they did well with it. Too much light all the time. White light will cause them to peck at each other. The black light would work too if it puts off enough heat for them.

3. save the favs

save the favs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Oregon
    Red heat lamp works best for me, it gives off a dim, less irritating light to the chicks so they can eat or drink 24/7. Like to put it to one side, so the chicks can go to the other side of their container to adjust their heat if needed.

4. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    Red heat lamp also...24/7 till they got all feathered out.

5. Madcap621

Madcap621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Thanks for the feed-back! I have time to check on temp control so will check out both red and black lites. I know that at least one source says white lite makes no difference, but feel lower light does better. Sounds like a great science project to me!!! [ have a 6th grader who may need a science project [​IMG]

6. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    Use the red.And I was told to never use a black light it does something to there eyes.Also black lights put off more heat.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by