Do Pekin Ducks have seizures?

Shellyanne

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 21, 2013
Tifton, Georgia
I have a Pekin Duck who has flopped on to her back arching her stomach and flapping her wings. She has done this 3 times that I know about. I flipped her over and tried to comfort her but then all of a sudden she just started walking around. She seems real slow but she is drinking water and eating. Can she be having seizures? I had another duck who was lethargic and not moving around a lot so I gave her some apple cider vinegar and now seems well so I am giving this one the vinegar also although I don"t know if this will help. Any information is appreciated. I truly love my ducks and hate to lose one.

Last edited:
What ages? sometimes they are dif in Niacin and this can cause neurological issues, usually shows up in young ducklings but wouldn't hurt to start her on some niacin either by crushing up Reg. Niacin[not time released or flush free] into her water 1X daily depending on age starting at 150mgs up to 500 megs if adult. or Brewers yeast sprinkled on top of feed 1tea to 1 tab again depending on age. and adding ACV to the drinking water can be used as a tonic but don't know if it will help is it's seizures. Please keep us posted on her condition.

and
welcome-byc.gif

Could be anything. In a perfect world we would all live near a duck vet with reasonable fees.

So,

it could be a physical injury to the neck or spine. In that case, rest, hydrotherapy, vitamins is what I would do. If she has an aggressive drake bothering her, separate them. If there are other animals who may injure her, separate them.

Might be toxicity - in which case I would put a few capsules of food grade activated charcoal in her water.

Could be a vitamin deficiency in which case I would do what Miss Lydia suggested - in fact, you may want to do that in any case and see how she is in a week.

The hydrotherapy and rest would not hurt in any case, either.

If you have reason to suspect poisoning I would go with the charcoal for a week, then get her onto vitamins. Charcoal can absorb some vitamins, if I recall correctly.

One other thing, that you probably already know, is always do your own checking about these suggestions. You need to be comfortable with what you are doing - it needs to make sense to you.

Another thought - sometimes there are viral or bacterial infections that can affect the nervous system. You would need to be pretty sure about it to decide on the best medicine, antibiotic or antiviral (if those are available OTC).

Last edited:
It's always a good idea if you suspect a toxin to look around where the ducks range might be something that got washed up in the rain or something in plant form she may have eaten could she have gotten into some old stale feed? mold would possibly be the culprit them.

Back
Top Bottom