HELP! Duck Black Vent, Painful, Runny Feces, Missing Feathers

May 11, 2020
Seeking help as there are NO vets in my area willing to help with ducks.

4 Year Old layer duck has had digestive issues had fly strike in Summer that seemed to clear but now super sloppy feces and difficulty pooping since then. Tried lots of treatments, thought she was 'OK'. We've had SUPER cold temps and all of a sudden noticed that her vent is BLACK, crusty and her feces just kind of trickle out and stick to her underside. Concerned the infalmmed tissues that were already problematic got frost bite but I don't know!

When I touch her vent to apply ointment she cries out in pain no matter how gentle I am.
Trying Epsom Salt soaks, preparation H, Ointments, apple cider vinegar in water.

Please help me know what to do?

Oh no thats sad let me tag @Miss Lydia
the epsom salt bath sounds good (dont let her drink any though)
how are you using the ACV? in her drinking water? or also in the bath?
Yes I did start ACV in her drinking water 3 days ago. I've also added cayenne pepper to help with parasites, in the past have tried oregano in food/water. She gets peas every day along with two types of food (free range choice) and mealworms.

Remove acv cocktail, herbs and spices, they will not help anything.
Does she get any real duck food?
Yes of course she does. She gets 24/7 access to a quality layer crumble (same brand for 3+ years) as well as Mazuri floating duck food, fresh peas twice a day and a handful of dried mealworms as a supplement. Occassionallly romaine lettuce while the ground is frozen and they can't forage.

Yes of course she does. She gets 24/7 access to a quality layer crumble (same brand for 3+ years) as well as Mazuri floating duck food, fresh peas twice a day and a handful of dried mealworms as a supplement. Occassionallly romaine lettuce while the ground is frozen and they can't forage.
Can you get any pictures of the wound? It sounds like it's going necrotic. Which is a fight, but heal able.

Back
Top Bottom