Do people lie about how many eggs they get??

I have 15 birds ranging from 1 to 2 years old and I’m presently getting 9 or 10 eggs a day. Was almost as good through the winter. Northern Ontario. Most are non production birds and not really the best conditions right about now. Most of them are molting too. I’ve never had a problem with egg production although I usually have a pretty good turnover every year other than this year. If you have older birds I could see why production isn’t as good.

Ok, so I am so tired of hearing this " I get an egg a day from all my hens" (in like January!!!!)
I have beautiful healthy free ranging hens- They get free choice pellets. BOSS almost every day/or every other day (about 1 cup maybe)? and daily kitchen scraps.
.....and I get about 10 eggs a day from 20 hens.Thats on a good day in sunny but cold March. In January? Maybe 4-5 a day.

I have 3 hens that are 2.5 yr old.
I have 15 hens that are 1.5 yr old
I have 2 hens that are almost 1 yr old.
I have (2)danish brown leghorn, (3)welsummer, (3)Silver Laced Wyandotte, (1)Cream Legbar and (11) Easter Eggers

On a really good day I would get 14-17. In spring. How are all these people getting an egg a day?????
My experience is some people will lie about most anything.

Eggs in winter for me are like unicorns... they don't exist. At all. I don't supplement lighting though.

Out of 7 hens I get 2 to 4 eggs a day from spring to fall. 3 of my hens are older and one's more or less retired, of the 4 younger ones, one is special needs and only lays a few times a year.
I have speckled susex hens just 3 when I had read to increase protein in the winter with cat food I started getting a 3 eggs a day 5-6 days a week then one or another would take a break & skip a day plus they all gained good weight too.

My lights are on a timer, on at 5 am off at 9 pm. And I feed pellet (16%protein I think) plus lots of BOSS. and kitchen scraps. every day.

My experience is some people will lie about most anything.
I've always just assumed people just THINK they are getting an egg a day because they are busy and dont really check... then they dont eat too many eggs and then they have all these eggs and just think, wow! my hens are laying every day! "
But I have 3 small kids and the 5 of us can eat 10 eggs at breakfast when we have eggs, and at least 8 if I am doing egg salad sandwiches for lunch.... and plus I have 2 egg customers who use a lot of eggs ..so I am often without any eggs LOL so I really keep track...and I know that I have "good" hens that lay 4-5 a week and then a lot of "crap" hens that lay 2 a week, and that many take weeks off at a time... new rooster, new roost, rainy days where I have them locked into their coop (its 15 x 10) all reasons for them to not lay much.... they are just picky I guess???

Ok, so I am so tired of hearing this " I get an egg a day from all my hens" (in like January!!!!)
I have beautiful healthy free ranging hens- They get free choice pellets. BOSS almost every day/or every other day (about 1 cup maybe)? and daily kitchen scraps.
.....and I get about 10 eggs a day from 20 hens.Thats on a good day in sunny but cold March. In January? Maybe 4-5 a day.

I have 3 hens that are 2.5 yr old.
I have 15 hens that are 1.5 yr old
I have 2 hens that are almost 1 yr old.
I have (2)danish brown leghorn, (3)welsummer, (3)Silver Laced Wyandotte, (1)Cream Legbar and (11) Easter Eggers

On a really good day I would get 14-17. In spring. How are all these people getting an egg a day?????

I have four young hens. They have been laying for about 6 weeks. They are free range, but are locked up at night. They lay their eggs in late morning. We get 3-4 eggs a day. We have never had less than three since they got established.

On of my hens originally started laying in a hidden area in the yard. The others were not laying yet. She laid ALOT of eggs there! Once the others starting laying in the house, she started laying hers there, too. Maybe yours have a stash somewhere.

Last edited:
I bought my first chickens in September 2017. They were 8 Isa Browns. They started laying in January 14, 2018 with a total of 85 eggs in 18 days. From the day they started laying in January through December 2018, I harvested 2,612 eggs for 8 chickens for an average of 326.5 eggs for each chicken. March 9, 2019, I purchased 12 new Isa Browns they did not start laying until July 2019. The 20 chickens gave me a total of 3,413 for 2019. I'm not sure this is an accurate total for 2019, so Iwill be checking the numbers. If it is different I will let you know. I really like the Isa Browns. At this time my 19 hens are giving me form 12 to 15 or 16 eggs a day. They really collect fast in the refrigerator. I donate to the Bread of Life. I have been able to give 8.5 dozen one time and the next time I gave them 15 dozen.

We don't call it a lie . It is a misrepresentation of the facts. I have heritage breeds they lay every other day. My neighbor had a sex link and she laid every single day for a year and then never laid an egg again.
I have two Orpingtons that are 4yrs old. I have started playing around with fermented feed and dang after ten days of that the old girls are laying a couple eggs a week! If they are not laying or low numbers do some investigation. I had a squirrel last year stealing eggs when the coop was open.

Back
Top Bottom