Do people lie about how many eggs they get??

Ok, so I am so tired of hearing this " I get an egg a day from all my hens" (in like January!!!!)
I have beautiful healthy free ranging hens- They get free choice pellets. BOSS almost every day/or every other day (about 1 cup maybe)? and daily kitchen scraps.
.....and I get about 10 eggs a day from 20 hens.Thats on a good day in sunny but cold March. In January? Maybe 4-5 a day.

I have 3 hens that are 2.5 yr old.
I have 15 hens that are 1.5 yr old
I have 2 hens that are almost 1 yr old.
I have (2)danish brown leghorn, (3)welsummer, (3)Silver Laced Wyandotte, (1)Cream Legbar and (11) Easter Eggers

On a really good day I would get 14-17. In spring. How are all these people getting an egg a day?????
I did get an egg a day from each of my three ducks last winter, but this year, nada. There's no predicting....

I have five full-sized hens -- one Sapphire Gem and four ISA Browns -- and I average about... three eggs a day, maybe? Plus some (by which I mean anywhere from one to four) eggs per week from my Booted Bantam hen.
Spring's almost here where I live, though, so things have been warming up.
A little off topic, but how do you like your Sapphire Gem? I have been considering adding a few to my flock and wonder about their temperament, laying habits, etc.

We are enjoying spring here in the VA mountains! 5 eggs/day from 7 hens the kast 2 wks!

Attachments

• 20200405_184203.jpg
    20200405_184203.jpg
    523.3 KB · Views: 1
We are enjoying spring here in the VA mountains! 5 eggs/day from 7 hens the kast 2 wks!
I'm sure it is quite nice in SW VA. My wife and I lived in Marion, VA from 2004 - 2012 and loved it there in all the seasons of the year. And those are pretty eggs in the photo. I began raising chickens a half century ago and there is nothing much better than seeing a collection of eggs in a nest.

I'm currently getting 35-45 eggs/day from 68 hens. More than half my flock is over 2 years old, so I don't think thats too bad.

I've heard people say their chickens lay more than one egg per bird a day. I think there is some exaggeration going on in some cases, lol

I'm currently getting 35-45 eggs/day from 68 hens. More than half my flock is over 2 years old, so I don't think thats too bad.

I've heard people say their chickens lay more than one egg per bird a day. I think there is some exaggeration going on in some cases, lol
We got 2 eggs a day from our ducks for about 3 wks and from a few hens over the years. Always when they first begin to lay. Once they got on their regular cycle it was 1 a day like usual.

From our full size ladies out of 7 layers we will get anywhere between 4-7 eggs a day. Lately has been around 5-6 a day. Ours are a mix of breeds. An EE, a copper maran, one splash maran we think, a Dominique, a praire bluebell egger and 2 production reds. None of those ladies have gone broody and are anywhere from about 6m to a year old.

The bantam flock is a whole different situation. All around the same ages but the egg production is anywhere from 2 eggs on the worst days and up to 8 one day but usually average about 4 or 5 a day. That is from 9 layers. 5 are silkies, a dark cornish we think, a millie fleur d'uccle, a bantam columbian cochin, and a full size lavender orpington that was getting picked on by the full size hens so she gets to hang out with the little ones. But 1 silkie has already gone broody twice and another is currently sitting on eggs.

We also live in northern Texas so not exceptionally harsh winters but not real warm either. Between both groups we usually got around 8 eggs a day in winter.

Todd

I have a mixed-breed flock and usually got 7 eggs/day from 8 ladies all winter, some days 8. They will soon be a year old and for some reason aren't laying as consistently, although they're (I think) in various stages of molting too. Beginner's luck??? No value to me in lying about it -

Back
Top Bottom