Do people offer stud services?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickenphile, Feb 26, 2009.

1. chickenphile

chickenphile Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Feura Bush, NY
    Do people stud out chickens? Should the male be brough to the females or doesn't it matter? I am looking to get some fertile eggs but don't want a rooster. I have silkies and standard breeds.

thanks
    Chris

2. CATRAY44

CATRAY44 Lard Cookin Chicken Woman

Um, I don't know, but you might want to re title your post to," Do people offer their roosters for stud services?", lol..

3. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

oldtimegator and I AI'ed her roo to my hen. I took her to him. I may do the same with sunshinesilkies for my showgirl.

Find some good people will to share the "wealth" in your area -- and you should be in business.

4. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    It's been done, but you should always quarantine new birds for 3-4 weeks before introducing them to your flock, then they should quarantine him when they get him back from you. So it can be a pain, but may be worth it, if you'd really like some fertile eggs, but don't want to own a roo.

5. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    Quote:ROFL I must be around animals too much, it never for one second occured to me to take that any way but the way it was meant. SHAME on you! [​IMG] [​IMG] I mean, it's in the managing the flock section of a chicken forum! [​IMG] That's too funny, or else maybe shame on ME for being so boring! heheh

6. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I would. I have 3 roosters to choose from.

7. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

[​IMG]

8. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    AI is the safest route and you don't have to move your birds around to do it. If the stud roo is a long drive from you you will have to use a cooler and dry ice though to keep the semen viable until you can insemenate your hen.

9. CATRAY44

Quote:I would. I have 3 roosters to choose from.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  10. CATRAY44

Quote:ROFL I must be around animals too much, it never for one second occured to me to take that any way but the way it was meant. SHAME on you! [​IMG] [​IMG] I mean, it's in the managing the flock section of a chicken forum! [​IMG] That's too funny, or else maybe shame on ME for being so boring! heheh

Sorry, but I hadn't even had my coffee yet, lol. Good way to start the day with a chuckle!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by