Do people offer stud services?

chickenphile

Songster
11 Years
Jun 8, 2008
Feura Bush, NY
Do people stud out chickens? Should the male be brough to the females or doesn't it matter? I am looking to get some fertile eggs but don't want a rooster. I have silkies and standard breeds.

thanks
Chris

oldtimegator and I AI'ed her roo to my hen. I took her to him. I may do the same with sunshinesilkies for my showgirl.

Find some good people will to share the "wealth" in your area -- and you should be in business.

It's been done, but you should always quarantine new birds for 3-4 weeks before introducing them to your flock, then they should quarantine him when they get him back from you. So it can be a pain, but may be worth it, if you'd really like some fertile eggs, but don't want to own a roo.

lau.gif

Quote:
ROFL I must be around animals too much, it never for one second occured to me to take that any way but the way it was meant. SHAME on you!
lau.gif
gig.gif
I mean, it's in the managing the flock section of a chicken forum!
lau.gif
That's too funny, or else maybe shame on ME for being so boring! heheh

AI is the safest route and you don't have to move your birds around to do it. If the stud roo is a long drive from you you will have to use a cooler and dry ice though to keep the semen viable until you can insemenate your hen.

Quote:
ROFL I must be around animals too much, it never for one second occured to me to take that any way but the way it was meant. SHAME on you!
lau.gif
gig.gif
I mean, it's in the managing the flock section of a chicken forum!
lau.gif
That's too funny, or else maybe shame on ME for being so boring! heheh

Sorry, but I hadn't even had my coffee yet, lol. Good way to start the day with a chuckle!

Back
Top Bottom