Do picking habits change by breed?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Doug62, May 28, 2010.

1. Doug62

Doug62 Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2010
    Carson
    I recently purchased 12 chicks from a well known local feed store, a mix of 5 different breeds. I got 2 Buff Laced Polish in a straight run. One of the little buggers is a picker, it's almost constant, it doesn't seem to be hurting the others but I'm concerned it could lead to bigger problems. I'm feeding Chick starter (medicated), temps good according to thermometer, plenty of water, and the brooder is quite. Now I know stress can be a factor, this is their first day home but I figured it would lessen throughout the day. If I separate it from the rest won't that stress it more?

2. bantyhen'sfriend

bantyhen'sfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    Southern Wisconsin
    I think a red light bulb in the brooder is supposed to discourage pecking. Maybe that would work. It could also just be stress.

3. Doug62

May 28, 2010
    Carson
    I have a 250w red bulb in there, it seems to be easing up little, but is still concerning.

4. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    Also make sure that they're not too hot and can get away from the lamp. Too much heat makes them irritable leading to picking, pecking, and fighting.

5. Doug62

May 28, 2010
    Carson
    According to the thermometer on top of the one gallon water-er it's 90deg, they don't huddle and they don't escape to the edge so I think I'm ok, a friend thought maybe it's a rooster and maybe that's why he's being an ass, if so I'll name him skeeter because that's what he's like an irritating mosquito.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by