Pasty butt

ffibyar

Songster
8 Years
Oct 28, 2015
lorain county, Ohio
So I have raised right around 70 + day old chicks over the years and got away from raising chicken for a few years, because it consumed to much of my play time. I just recently started back up.
Last spring I incubated several eggs and ended up with 4 hens laying very good right now. Eggs are green but I always have ham around so that is all good!

Just bought 11 more chicks and there is just 1 out of the 11, that has gotten this pasty butt now 2 times. At least I am pretty sure it is the same one. Out of the 11 there are 3 Silver Laced Wyandot's and it is one of them both times.

So I am wondering if all of the others are doing just fine and dandy, is there something a wrong with this one or is it just one of those things?
I cleaned it off the first time and getting ready to run some warm water on her butt again as soon as I post this.

I have them in a broad and have a heat lamp on a temp controlled switch that turns off at 95 and turns on at 93. They have plenty of room to get away from the light and or get right under it also. Feed is chick starter and I asked for medicated chick starter from the hatchery from which I had bought the 70+ from before. I also mix the water with a special powder that add the right stuff to help them while they are young.

I have some running around to do today so I will check back later.
Thanks you in advance.

There is a small chance that the trouble-butt has developmental issues, but the most obvious cause is an over-warm brooder.

People raising chicks see the temperature guidelines and immediately think that the brooder, like an oven, must be kept at a certain temp. The temperature specified for first week, second week, etc, is not for the entire brooder. It's for the precise spot under the heat source. The rest of the brooder must be allowed to be much cooler so chicks are able to shed excess body heat. In the matter of body temperature regulation, chicks in the first three or four weeks are a lot like reptiles in that they absorb and shed heat in order to regulate body temp.

Another consideration that the temperature guidelines don't mention is the ambient temperature. A very warm room will dictate a much lower brooder temperature than raising chicks in a brooder in a frigid barn. The reason is simple if you think about it. Chicks lose body heat at a much slower rate in a warm room than a frigid barn.

Keep an eye on this chick, though. If at one week of age, it is looking much smaller than the rest, it could be a failure to thrive chick and require special care.

It’s just one of those things. You can try some ACV, 1 T per gallon, or get some electrolytes for them. It won’t hurt for everyone to get it, just be sure you also have plain water available.

I had problems with my last batch. I'm not saying it's the temp, it could be. But, when I switched from baby kibble to my own mix they stopped getting pasty butt. I used oatmeal, cornmeal, quinoa, and flax. With water so the oatmeal was soft. I don't know what was wrong with the commercial feed, or maybe something weird with the chicks that were affected.

The only thing I would change for future chicks is to give them flax that is not wet. It gets sticky.

Back
Top Bottom