Do pullets and cockerels hold their wings differently?

Jemma Rider

Songster
Nov 25, 2017
Maryland
This is just a question made out of curiosity, I've noticed that my rooster holds his wings so the tips sit under his tail. All of my hens hold their wings tight against their backs.
I also have three chicks, two of my chicks hold their wings like my rooster and the one holds her wings like my hens. I suspect that both of the chicks who hold their wings like my rooster are cockerels. One has a defined comb, the other bites, they're still too young to really tell for sure they're only four weeks.
I've never read anything about hens and roosters having any difference in the way they hold their wings, i ask more in curiosity then anything else, or is this just a breed characteristic? I don't know, I'm just wondering if anybody else has ever noticed this? Or am i imagining things?

The way chooks carry themselves depends on breed. :) Some, like Rosecombs, are naturally very upright in stature.

I've never noticed any difference between the two genders. Four weeks isn't always too early to know, so if you're curious, feel free to post pictures! :D

~Alex
Okay good to know, i hope the wings don't mean i have roos i love my little guys.
My porcelain d'uccle, Debora carries herself very straight and holds her chest up like my big rooster does, and she has a little comb (they all have combs but deb has developed little points on hers). And then my black white crested polish Darla bites things when she feels threatened, she never bites me but if she thinks something is coming after her she tries to hurt it it's not harmless chick pecking it's a full fledged attack. And then there's my sweet Ginger pie my dark cornish, I'm pretty sure she's a pullet, of course i can't be one hundred percent sure until she lays an egg but she's very girly, reminds me so much of my big hens.
I think I'll post some pictures below, and in another thread sometime soon, i don't think they're big enough yet but here goes...

So here's Debra, my porcelain d'uccle bantam-
Screenshot_2018-07-23-20-53-09.png
Screenshot_2018-07-23-20-53-16.png

and Darla, my black white crested polish (named after my aunt who also has big blonde hair)-
Screenshot_2018-07-23-20-50-17.png
Screenshot_2018-07-23-20-49-54.png

and last but most certainly not least my Ginger, a very sweet dark cornish -
Screenshot_2018-07-23-20-50-36.png

Screenshot_2018-07-23-20-51-19.png

Back
Top Bottom