Do quails sit on their own eggs to hatch them?

Yes, the coturnix quail. All 3 are now sitting on a clutch of eggs. No natural environment whatsoever...
That's rather interesting...

Do you house your birds on wire? And have they exhibited this behavior before? (Or hatched out chicks, even?)

I suppose for every thousand Coturnix, there must be a handful that go broody. However, I was under the impression that it might take several hundred birds before finding even one with interest in being broody...My own Coturnix (way back when) showed no interest in going broody whatsoever.

Would you be willing to provide a pick of your Coturnix set-up with the broody hens?

Only had them for about 3 months so no idea whether they've done it before. I just house them in a small chicken coop with run attached, nothing special. I'll try and get a picture in the next few days. The male is constantly mating with the females so there is a good chance of chicks.

I have my jap quail in pairs. Both of my females sit on there eggs. One of them have hatched 4 chicks then after a week they died. the other one is sitting on her eggs. she still has a while to go but if they do hatch should i put them under a light or let her raise them like the other one did?

Any advice would be much appreciated,

Thanks

I have my jap quail in pairs. Both of my females sit on there eggs. One of them have hatched 4 chicks then after a week they died. the other one is sitting on her eggs. she still has a while to go but if they do hatch should i put them under a light or let her raise them like the other one did?

Thanks

Button quail chicks require fine ground food and clean water that they can not drown in. They will also seek safe shelter which can lead to them starving to death. A good quail hen will constantly be visiting the feeding area with chicks in tow if shes happy with the area. Low light or cold air around the feeders may result in the chicks refusing to eat and staying under the hen for protection. I would monitor the hen and chicks and if they don't spend a lot of time eating then I would pull them and brood the chicks separate.

I have to pull all my button chicks as the other birds in the aviary (budgies) will kill young chicks. Pulling the hen normally causes more problems then it solves so I leave the hen and just take the chicks.

Thanks

When your quail hatch chicks please post a picture of hen and chicks. That would be fascinating to see.

I have 2 broody jumbo browns and my golden is looking a bit broody too, they started showing signs of broodness 5 days after i got them and they were cage rasied for 3 months

Can you all think about it....... How do quails multiply in the wild? Of cos they can hatch there own eggs for real
1f426.png

Can you all think about it....... How do quails multiply in the wild? Of cos they can hatch there own eggs for real
1f426.png

Can you be any more insulting? Coturnix quail aren't found in the wild. They've been bred in captivity for thousands of years, which is why they have issues with natural reproduction. If you were even familiar with coturnix quail, you'd know that much.

Wild quail do hatch their own eggs but I'd bet that you may have issues with getting wild quail to breed in captivity, much like many other species of animals have issues breeding in captivity.

Back
Top Bottom