Do roos sing the egg song???? NEW PHOTOS!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by allison finch, Sep 11, 2009.

1. allison finch

allison finch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Chapel Hill, NC
    OK, I have a three month old EE that I beleive is a roo. While he does not crow, yet, He has feathering that suggests roo. Yes, I will try to get updted photos to post, for everyones viewing.

Well, today I heard a LOUD trio of birds singing the egg song. I knew two of my silkie/cochin crosses (four months old) had started singing. I didn't know which the third bird was. I went to the coop and, lo and behold, the bird that I truly believe is a roo was singing the egg song too.

Will a roo sing along with the ladies just out of excitement? Could those not be pointy saddle feathers and sickle tail roo feathers?

As I said, I will try to post new photos tomorrow. There are some of the older pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are new photos to show why I think it is a roo. Don't you all think so too?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  2. KyBlue

KyBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Southeastern KY
    I'm pretty sure that's an EE pullet....

...a very pretty EE pullet!

3. FluffyColor

FluffyColor Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Queens, NY
    wow no waddles on a three month old................three words.Unscramble them.RFSTI ENERG GEG.

4. allison finch

Jun 12, 2009
    Chapel Hill, NC
    These pics were pre shed. The new tail is much bigger and more sickled. Dang, I just need newer pics. TOMORROW!! I would be ecstatic is it turns out to be a pullet! PLEASE!! No waddles, per se, in EE's. This one has a much wider pea comb than all the others.

First green egg? I do hope so! Man, can those girls sing loud.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  5. RedHead

RedHead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    East Lake, NC
    well my 2 boys sing along with the girls from time to time, but their voices are significantly deeper than the girls and raspier. As far as sex goes I'm not an expert by any means but it looks like a girl. Try getting a better pic of the feathers and it'll probably help others help you.

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    To answer your first question, yes roosters can and do sing the 'egg song'. I think mine do it more than the hens do, though the darn roosters never lay 1 egg [​IMG]

Considering that is an EE it probably won't get wattles, or very much of a wattle. The beard would cover them up. I don't notice any obvious roo feathers, but that comb is awfully big for a pullet! I hate pea-combed birds, they are so hard to tell! [​IMG]
    ETA: The feathers on the neck do look somewhat rooster-ish.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  7. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    I think it is a pullet. Here are my EE Roos at 14 weeks to compair

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. allison finch

Jun 12, 2009
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Here are the new photos after the molt feathers grew in anew.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See why I am sure it is a roo? Anyway, they will sing the egg song along with the girls??
    And, when he starts to crow, who will give him a good free home? Don't you want some colored eggs?

9. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Looks like a roo to me!

10. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    That is 100% rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by