Do roos sing the egg song???? NEW PHOTOS!!

allison finch

Songster
10 Years
Jun 12, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
OK, I have a three month old EE that I beleive is a roo. While he does not crow, yet, He has feathering that suggests roo. Yes, I will try to get updted photos to post, for everyones viewing.

Well, today I heard a LOUD trio of birds singing the egg song. I knew two of my silkie/cochin crosses (four months old) had started singing. I didn't know which the third bird was. I went to the coop and, lo and behold, the bird that I truly believe is a roo was singing the egg song too.

Will a roo sing along with the ladies just out of excitement? Could those not be pointy saddle feathers and sickle tail roo feathers?

As I said, I will try to post new photos tomorrow. There are some of the older pics

07-30-09085.jpg

07-30-09087.jpg

Here are new photos to show why I think it is a roo. Don't you all think so too?

IMG_6884.jpg

IMG_6885.jpg

Last edited:
These pics were pre shed. The new tail is much bigger and more sickled. Dang, I just need newer pics. TOMORROW!! I would be ecstatic is it turns out to be a pullet! PLEASE!! No waddles, per se, in EE's. This one has a much wider pea comb than all the others.

First green egg? I do hope so! Man, can those girls sing loud.

Last edited:
well my 2 boys sing along with the girls from time to time, but their voices are significantly deeper than the girls and raspier. As far as sex goes I'm not an expert by any means but it looks like a girl. Try getting a better pic of the feathers and it'll probably help others help you.

To answer your first question, yes roosters can and do sing the 'egg song'. I think mine do it more than the hens do, though the darn roosters never lay 1 egg
rant.gif

Considering that is an EE it probably won't get wattles, or very much of a wattle. The beard would cover them up. I don't notice any obvious roo feathers, but that comb is awfully big for a pullet! I hate pea-combed birds, they are so hard to tell!
gig.gif

ETA: The feathers on the neck do look somewhat rooster-ish.

Last edited:
Here are the new photos after the molt feathers grew in anew.

IMG_6885.jpg

IMG_6884.jpg

See why I am sure it is a roo? Anyway, they will sing the egg song along with the girls??
And, when he starts to crow, who will give him a good free home? Don't you want some colored eggs?

Back
Top Bottom