Do Roosters determine the sex of the chick?

KC Rob

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2015
I was curious, does the male determine the sex of the offspring, as in humans? I ask because I am hatching my 3rd set of eggs from my Rhode Island Red Roo and for the third time I am having a very high ratio of pullets to cockerels. The first hatch was the Rhode Island crossed with my barred rock hens to make a black sex link and I hatched 9 eggs, 6 pullets and 3 cockerels. Flushed with success, I did it again and this time hatched 11 eggs, 9 pullets (!) and 2 cockerels. My third hatch is 13 eggs, this time the Red crossed with my Silver Laced Wyandottes to make a red sex link, and it is still early, but so far 4 chicks have hatched and 3 are pullets. I may be counting my chicks before they hatch (yeah, I just said that) but in the early going it looks like I am set to have another pullet heavy hatch. I am wondering if I have a magic rooster that produces females at a much higher rate!

I was curious, does the male determine the sex of the offspring, as in humans? I ask because I am hatching my 3rd set of eggs from my Rhode Island Red Roo and for the third time I am having a very high ratio of pullets to cockerels. The first hatch was the Rhode Island crossed with my barred rock hens to make a black sex link and I hatched 9 eggs, 6 pullets and 3 cockerels. Flushed with success, I did it again and this time hatched 11 eggs, 9 pullets (!) and 2 cockerels. My third hatch is 13 eggs, this time the Red crossed with my Silver Laced Wyandottes to make a red sex link, and it is still early, but so far 4 chicks have hatched and 3 are pullets. I may be counting my chicks before they hatch (yeah, I just said that) but in the early going it looks like I am set to have another pullet heavy hatch. I am wondering if I have a magic rooster that produces females at a much higher rate!
No the hens determine the sex in chickens. So you can thank your girls!
wink.png

What ever is in your water, perhaps you could bottle it and sell it! You'll need a catchy name for it, like "pullet maker"... or something!

5th chick has hatched and it looks like it is another girl! I can't be sure until she fluffs out, but she is definitely darker than the pale yellow cockerel that hatched earlier. We are at 4 to 1 in favor of the pullets! My wife reminded me though, in our past couple hatches, the boys came on strong later in the hatch, the girls came out first.

3 more eggs hatched over night, 2 boys and 1 girl so I am up to 5-3 in favor of the pullets. The boys are starting to catch up. I have 3 more eggs that have pipped (one is zipping) and 2 eggs that aren't doing anything yet so I have a little ways to go before the final tally.

3 more eggs hatched over night, 2 boys and 1 girl so I am up to 5-3 in favor of the pullets. The boys are starting to catch up. I have 3 more eggs that have pipped (one is zipping) and 2 eggs that aren't doing anything yet so I have a little ways to go before the final tally.
thumbsup.gif

I am tempted to change my avatar to iron man just for when I comment in here......
wink.png

Have you heard of the 'experiment' going on to determine from the shape of the eggs, determining pullet or cockerel, "Sexing Eggs".

I've been following it & with your HENS you may want to check it out, maybe fun. Comparing eggs from a single hen....Rounder eggs = Pullets Pointer eggs = Cockerel not as a group.

What would be interesting is if the pullets from your "pullet producing hens" also produce majority pullets, you're in BUSINESS! I'm sure your fertile eggs/chicks could/would be a SELLING item :) Enjoy your HENS!

Back
Top Bottom