Do roosters stop being fertile completely eventually? 3 broody hens, no fertile eggs. Advise please.

thronesandroses

Chirping
Aug 12, 2021
We had a hen go broody which encouraged 2 others to go broody so now we have 3 broody hens. We have a rooster and would like to have the hens raise chicks naturally. This rooster has successfully given us chicks last year. We are trying not to interfere too much but have candled several of the eggs and they all seem infertile ☹️ It should be day 17 for the first broody hen but we haven’t seen any signs of life.

Our rooster is older.. at least 4 years old. Do roosters stop being fertile eventually? Are there any other reasons this is happening?

Advise or knowledge would be appreciated!

I'm curious about that as well. I have a 7-8 yr old Barred Rock Roo, he doesn't even try to mate...not sure if he will try now that spring has sprung...will let you know if he does. My other Roos, 4-5 yrs old mate & are fertile.

For the eggs that you are gathering, maybe try cracking those open and examining the yolks. I'm still pretty new to examining them myself but I understand that there's supposed to be a "halo" around the white spot if they are fertilized.

My theory is that maybe your roo is slowing down in his older age and only mating with specific hens, so only specific sets of eggs will be fertilized. If this is the case, I would probably just leave your 17-day-broody be with her existing clutch, but monitor future broodies to make sure they are sitting on valid eggs, swapping as necessary.

I’m sure age impacts fertility, but my old rooster, probably at least 8 years did successfully fertilize eggs the last 2 years (he’s in freezer camp now because he couldn’t handle not being top dog when a young one finally stood up to him. It was sad.)
Disease of one thing or another could effect fertility too, though I usually only hear about it relating to hens and egg production.

Back
Top Bottom