Do Rouen ducks feathers change color?

Thank you! Over the last few days I've noticed (since they are finally getting comfortable around here) that the two males do seem to stand guard when the other 3 are sleeping and when the 3 are up playing in the pool during the day the 2 males sleep. Thank you so much for all your help!
Any advice on if I need to do anything for them if Hurricane Irma hits us? They are free range and they do not go into any kind of coop at night because I got them wild and figured they would be much happier staying that way. My husband says they will find a place to hunker down and stay safe, that if I tried to put them inside a building somewhere that would cause them too much stress. I'm so worried I will lose them if the winds and rains are too much.

yes, you got to keep an eye on ratios. it looks like you got 2 male, two female, and the Rouen Duck. if you could put a good close-up picture of them, I can tell if they're male or female by there beaks. you got some pretty nice ducks:thumbsup
Can you tell if this Rouen is male or female?

Attachments

• 27E2EA56-C8C3-4EBD-B589-DD14A5A21DBB.jpeg
    27E2EA56-C8C3-4EBD-B589-DD14A5A21DBB.jpeg
    876.3 KB · Views: 13
Immature drakes and adult drakes after the breeding season have eclipse plumage - more female in nature. He will eventually molt back to his nuptial more colorful plumage. Your birds are in beautiful condition. They are old enough that you should be able to 'voice' sex them. Hens will have a loud quack whereas drakes will have a raspy more quiet voice. Bill color sexing sometimes works. Drakes will have a paler/more green bill and hens will have darker bills.
I just noticed my male lost his pretty green head and band around neck. He is 1 yr old. Glad to hear he will get his color back

Back
Top Bottom