do Silkies grow out of red combs?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by catwalk, Sep 17, 2009.

1. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    or do they just get redder? I have the opportunity to give a pet chicken to a family, and I was wondering if I should offer this one? I told them they could have an EE chick that just hatched, but they may be happier with one that is a little older. If it's comb has no chance of getting darker, I'd be happier with giving them this one as well.[​IMG]
    Edited to say that the orange is cantelope, and that the chicken is not shown actual size!
    Oh, and she's about three months old.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  2. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    My splash boy had a dark comb when he was younger and now looks like this. His comb and wattles are way too red.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't think your birds comb will darken. I'd give her to the family. She'll make a wonderful pet. [​IMG]

3. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    If anything, I think they lighten with age.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Yes, it is more likely to get redder, not darker. Sometimes a roo's dark comb gets redder temporarily, but that seems to be related to aggression or perhaps testosterone, and possibly sun exposure. You might notice on a given day that his comb is much redder than usual, but the next it will probably be back to normal.

5. silkypie

silkypie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Plant City, FL
    Quote:does your silky like to get bathed and then blow dried? I was thinking about doing it to mine since she is white and loves to play in the mud and dirt.

6. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Thanks everyone! I'll offer this chick to them. They homeschool, so she'll be the spoiledest little red- combed Silkie of 'em all!

7. silkielovr

silkielovr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2009
    Oklahoma
    I am interested in the bath question. My white rooster is a big fan off dirt baths and I'd like to clean him up.

Have no idea how to bath him or dry him...do you really "brush" them??

Is there anyone who wants to explain it step by step or is that posted all ready somewhere else?

Thanks a lot for any info

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by