Do Silkies remain cuddly all throughout chickenhood?

SpunkyChicken

Songster
10 Years
Feb 1, 2009
New Hampshire
I have a two-month-old silkie chick named Charlie who who currently lives inside. I brought her home when she was 2 weeks old and she (or he?) has been an absolute sweetheart ever since. I've raised NH reds, cochins, and orpingtons, and while they are tame, they were never like Charlie. My other chicks never enjoyed being petted and would tolerate it at best, but when Charlie sits with us, she DEMANDS that you put your hand on her back; she'll make loooud peeps and repeatedly nuzzle your hand until you give in. And if you start petting her, she stretches her neck out all the way so you can stoke the feathers on her neck as well. Then she'll often fall asleep with her neck draped across your lap... it's the cutest thing.
smile.png
Our other chicks stopped sleeping with their necks stretched out when they were 3-4 weeks old, and they only felt comfortable enough to sleep that way in the brooder. Charlie likes her brooder, but before we built a cover for it, she would jump out like clockwork every evening to search for one of us to cuddle with. She's also very particular... she simply can't be next to you on the couch, she has to be ON you. Haha.

This is my first silkie and I've always read that they are the best chickens to have as a pet, so I'm wondering, if hand-raised do they stay like this forever, or do they grow out of this cuddly stage when they become adults? She also makes purring noises! Never heard that coming from any other chick, but I have no other silkies to compare her behavior to. Hopefully she does not outgrow her antics by the time I get a new SD card so I can take some pictures!

Some Silkies are tamer than others, and each have their own personality... but if she is like that now, she will probably stay that way. i have a 4 year old Silkie named Sophie and she is more dog than chicken,... LOL

Back
Top Bottom