do the chickens ever get boring or annoying after a while

Well, the young hens are called pullets, and the young roosters are called cockerels.

Anyway, if ya raise chicks, you'll need a heatlamp and a box or tub of some sort, along with some chick starter, pine shavins for beddin, a chick feeder, and a chick waterer. Do not stick a bowl of water in there, they can drown, and dont use newspaper for beddin, that can cause spraddle leg. The chicks need to have the temps just right or they'll die... If ya see them hudled together right under the light, its to cold. If there at the opposite side of the box away from the light, its to hot. You'll need to hold 'em some to get 'em used to ya, but not to much, they can get stressed, and that'll also kill 'em. Chicks are a much bigger responsibility than adults, but you'll find that out soon enuff!
wink.png
And you have to spend time with 'em and take care of 'em, none of that "my friends are doin this or that, I'll take care of 'em later" stuff. I aint tryin to be tough on ya, I was a kid to ya know! When the weather's horrible do ya wanna have to walk out in the pourin rain and hail to take care of 'em? Ya know, sometimes they aint quite smart enuff to get out of it, they'll just set there and watch it come down, and you'll have to carry 'em back to the coop. Just think about it for a while. I've been a rancher since I could walk, I know how it goes. Gotta take care of 'em, it dont matter the weather or what your buddies are doin, or if your dog sick and pukin up a gut. Your stock comes first, take care of them before ya do anything else.

Last edited:
Quote:
My suggestion....get one and raise it keeping it close to you and make it your pet. You will fall in love with it and it will never bore you. It will be your buddy. Then add to it as you learn how much fun you are having with the one. That is what I did. I cant imagine life without Chickie and Roo now. I hate to leave them and cant wait to get home to them when I have to. They are never boring and in a pinch, they can easily entertain themselves by bug hunting.

Once they are full siz you put the big water out there joe. B y the way i am kmac. when they are little you canage the feed and water basicly once every day or to i will give u my chick watter and feeder i use the big ones now.

Guerrera, if you have a history of losing interest in projects, pets or hobbies, then stay away from chickens. They live a long time, and it's not fair to them if you lose interest.

Back
Top Bottom