Do the eggs get bigger over time?

Huskerchickens

Chirping
8 Years
May 24, 2011
Of my four hens I now have three that have started laying eggs within the last three weeks. All three are laying what I would consider to be small/medium eggs. Do they tend to get bigger as things become more regular?

Probably they will, Mommysongbird. Often the non-purebreds have plenty of great egg-layer in there so no telling what size they'll end up. Lots of mutts end up laying even better than the purebreds, too.

My girls have been laying about 2.5 months. The eggs have slowly gotten larger. They were averaging 28 grams the first few weeks. Now they are up to 50 grams on average.

Yeah, I remember those first eggs are small (medium sized at best).

Just give 'em a couple of months.

You'll get large or x-large eggs in no time!

big_smile.png

When I started trading eggs for milk, I weighed the eggs and only kept the smallest eggs for myself. The milk lady got everything over 1.6 oz. Now she only gets the 1.8 oz or larger eggs. The EE sisters after a couple of months have been producing nice 2 oz eggs. The two year old hens lay every other day but the eggs are over 2.5 oz. The shape and color have stayed the same but the eggs have gotten steadly larger.

Back
Top Bottom