Do these look like 4 day old chicks?

Cranman

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 2, 2010
Sanford NC
69004_picture_012.jpg

I got them yesterday at the feed store. I asked when they were hatched and the guy said Wednsday, and if so they are 5 days old now I guess. What makes me question that is because they have some feathers on the wings. I would think it takes longer than a few days for feathers to come in.

The only reason I ask is because I bought these two for companions to a egg I expected to hatch soon, and it did hatch this morning, but I had hoped the chicks would be close in age.

Looks about right to me too. I was surprised when my day olds arrived in the mail with the start of feathers in the wings. Who knew they developed that fast!

Chicks feather wingtips FAST. Overnight, even. They look right on schedule to me, too.

You can easily add new hatchlings to them - I add newly hatched chicks (well, I wait until they are at least a day old and less wobbly on their feet) to older chicks all the time. All the way up to 3 weeks difference.

Thanks guys, I was mostly worried that they could be more like 2 weeks old and that it could be a problem adding the new chick in with them. So far they seem ok though. It's amazing how the 5 day old chicks are so much bigger, faster, more alert etc. I know they grow fast though!

Also it's so cute that they seem to enjoy the small stuffed monkey. The very first night I found them both sleeping on it!

Back
Top Bottom