Do these look like 4 day old chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cranman, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Cranman

Cranman Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2010
    Sanford NC
    [​IMG]

I got them yesterday at the feed store. I asked when they were hatched and the guy said Wednsday, and if so they are 5 days old now I guess. What makes me question that is because they have some feathers on the wings. I would think it takes longer than a few days for feathers to come in.

The only reason I ask is because I bought these two for companions to a egg I expected to hatch soon, and it did hatch this morning, but I had hoped the chicks would be close in age.

2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Looks right to me! Certainly not older than 5 days.

3. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Looks about right to me too. I was surprised when my day olds arrived in the mail with the start of feathers in the wings. Who knew they developed that fast!

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    right on schedue.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:I agree.

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Chicks feather wingtips FAST. Overnight, even. They look right on schedule to me, too.

You can easily add new hatchlings to them - I add newly hatched chicks (well, I wait until they are at least a day old and less wobbly on their feet) to older chicks all the time. All the way up to 3 weeks difference.

7. jenesis536

jenesis536 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    CA
    They look just like the ones I got yesterday that are a half a week old. Cute!

8. Winggedheart

Winggedheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2010
    Ringgold
    Very sweet looking little babies you have there---and that seems to be about the right age.

9. Cranman

Cranman Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2010
    Sanford NC
    Thanks guys, I was mostly worried that they could be more like 2 weeks old and that it could be a problem adding the new chick in with them. So far they seem ok though. It's amazing how the 5 day old chicks are so much bigger, faster, more alert etc. I know they grow fast though!

Also it's so cute that they seem to enjoy the small stuffed monkey. The very first night I found them both sleeping on it!

10. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Yep, they look about right!
    Cute EE chicks! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by