Do these work?

Fille de Poulet

In the Brooder
May 14, 2018
Marysville, WA
I was looking at incubators on amazon and the cheap, small ones that I found was the “Kidisol HHD Mini Egg Incubator Automatic Digital 7 Eggs Poultry Hatcher Tool for Dutch Bird Chicken Egg (Yellow)” (Link #1) but I also found a thread on WikiHow on how to make a homemade Incubator (link #2) that i’m willing to bet would hold triple the amount of the Kidisol incubator. Do any of you have experience with either ideas? If the homemade incubator is the way you would go, what brands did you guys Use?

Links:
#1: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BGQL95...&pd_rd_r=e9874291-57b6-11e8-bffc-259aeb435831

#2: https://www.google.com/search?q=how...j0j4&hl=en-US&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

I have 2 home made incubators. IF you could re-wire a lamp with good written instructions, then you can make your own incubator. My first one was styrofoam with bimetal thermostat, and fan. The second one had a digital thermostat and fan. I had issues with the fan in that one, so disconnected it. Both incubated around 24 eggs. Check out Rush Lane Poultry for his many videos that cover step by step incubator construction and wiring. I have excellent hatch rates.

You can make an incubator with a cooler and a light bulb, but you also need to have a thermostat of some kind to turn the bulb on and off to control the temperature. They sell digital thermostats to control them, or you can use a wafer thermostat or wire the bulb to a water heater thermostat.

Those cheapo incubators like the one you linked are pretty much junk and don't work at all. There's not even a good way to turn the eggs. Like they say, you get what you pay for.

You can make an incubator with a cooler and a light bulb, but you also need to have a thermostat of some kind to turn the bulb on and off to control the temperature. They sell digital thermostats to control them, or you can use a wafer thermostat or wire the bulb to a water heater thermostat.

Those cheapo incubators like the one you linked are pretty much junk and don't work at all. There's not even a good way to turn the eggs. Like they say, you get what you pay for.

So would the cooler+ lightbulb homemade one be a better idea then the cheap one? If i want any chance of raising chicks myself I would need a ‘bator soon

So would the cooler+ lightbulb homemade one be a better idea then the cheap one? If i want any chance of raising chicks myself I would need a ‘bator soon

Yes, but as I said, you'll need a thermostat of some kind to control the lightbulb or you're going to have temperature swings and probably won't get any chicks to hatch.

you'll need a thermostat

Any good ones off the top of your head? I can’t spend a ton of money, I have about an $100 budget on the whole thing (the reason why I found the cheapy cheap incubator was because it was small and i don’t want to have ten million Egg-stra spots In the incubator)

Any good ones off the top of your head? I can’t spend a ton of money, I have about an $100 budget on the whole thing (the reason why I found the cheapy cheap incubator was because it was small and i don’t want to have ten million Egg-stra spots In the incubator)

If you have a $100 budget, you could just purchase a Hova-bator. Or, you could buy an Incukit, which is the heat source, thermostat, and fan all in one, and then just mount it in a cooler.

I bought the Kidisol incubator and it worked for the first 17 days and than it broke. I don't know when it broke as I was out of town for two days. When I came back the temp was at 28 degrees Celsius. I tried to make a makeshift incubator and ended up cooking the eggs and killing the one egg that would have hatched in 3-4 days. The directions are terrible, and trying to find parts for the incubator is impossible. I would not suggest getting this incubator. I bought it because I just wanted to try it out so my youngest could watch the chick develop over three-ish weeks. I didn't want to buy anything really expensive. BUT I think that I put in too much water at one point. Mine breaking was most likely caused by user error.

The incukit from incubator warehouse is an awesome way to go. That’s what I am running now after the lightbulb method cooked my eggs. I really wish I had started out that way . Super simple to put together too. All you have to worry about is humitidy.

Back
Top Bottom