Do they get bigger?

85 Jimmy

In the Brooder
May 6, 2015
Gulfport, MS
So today we got our first egg out of our 20ish week old red sex links and I'm wondering if they will get any bigger as they get older. If not my wife is going to kill me... Haha

Here's the egg (on the left) next to a store bought jumbo sized egg.

Last edited:
Absolutely, they will get bigger and relatively soon with red sex links. You are safe from the wife's wrath.
tongue.png

Yes, I can see it and understand your fear. Just imagine giving a handful of those to your wife and saying, "Hey, honey, look. We have eggs."
lau.gif

I gave it to her and she looked at me like "What am I supposed to do with that..." then stared at me. I told her that she'll be using a lot more eggs for omelets now!

I gave it to her and she looked at me like "What am I supposed to do with that..." then stared at me. I told her that she'll be using a lot more eggs for omelets now!

My wife and kids were so thrilled to see one of our first tiny eggs - fighting to have it for sunny side "tiny" up.

Absolutely, they will get bigger and relatively soon with red sex links. You are safe from the wife's wrath.
tongue.png

X 2 -- though I have to say, I actually quite love the tiny egg phase.....it will be over sooner than you expect and you'll find yourself thinking back on those adorable little eggs.

X 2 -- though I have to say, I actually quite love the tiny egg phase.....it will be over sooner than you expect and you'll find yourself thinking back on those adorable little eggs.
I'm enjoying the tiny egg phase too. This is my first experience with having chickens. I knew the first eggs would be small but didn't realize how small.
BTW-- Has anyone encountered an egg this small?

The brown egg on the left is from my 21 week Red Sex link the center is a store bought X-large. Don't know which one laid the tiny egg. It's close to size of a quail egg. (And no, there are no quail around here, too many predators.) You can't see in the picture but it is very speckled.
I have a Red Sex Link, a Black Sex Link, a Barred Rock, & Black Australorp. All are very close in age.

I'm enjoying the tiny egg phase too. This is my first experience with having chickens. I knew the first eggs would be small but didn't realize how small.
BTW-- Has anyone encountered an egg this small?

The brown egg on the left is from my 21 week Red Sex link the center is a store bought X-large. Don't know which one laid the tiny egg. It's close to size of a quail egg. (And no, there are no quail around here, too many predators.) You can't see in the picture but it is very speckled.
I have a Red Sex Link, a Black Sex Link, a Barred Rock, & Black Australorp. All are very close in age.
That extra tiny one looks like a wind egg, aka, fairy egg. They usually don't have yolks and a 'hiccup' in the egg production cycle. All sorts of weird eggs can happen with first time layers.

Took months for my pullet egg to get bigger last year, like 6 months.
I find it incredibly frustrating....they are neat.....but it takes 14-18 to make up a carton of 'large' eggs by weight.

Back
Top Bottom