Do they have to be in the house?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ttrjpbcz, Sep 14, 2008.

1. ttrjpbcz

ttrjpbcz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    PA
    I am on my 4th set of baby chicks and have my home-made brooder in the master bathroom!! I am sick of it actually, as much as I love them, I hate having them in the house.

Where do you all keep baby chicks?

2. new chicken mommy

new chicken mommy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    athens vt
    I keep mine out in the coop . very secure and warm brooder with two lights they are very warm and happy. Havent lost one yet out of 69 chickens.

3. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I agree, you can put them right outside. If you have a draft-free, well insulated coop you can put them right outside with a lamp for heat and they should be fine. I did this with my ducks. I piled straw in the back so they couldn't get too far away from the lamp.

If your brooder can protect them from drafts and keep them warm, you can put them in a garage or shed or your basement.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I have a secure brooder outside and a kiddie pool for the ones I really want to bond with inside :p.

5. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    Why not put them in the garage or basement?

6. Quail_Antwerp

Quail_Antwerp [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    I have 17 chicks in a large plastic tote in my living room, right here beside my computer desk LOL so I can see them and tame them and make pets out of them [​IMG] Hubs doesn't care for them being in the house, but I love it.

now mind you, these ones are my hobby breeds, the Mille's, Silkies, Brahma Bantams, and Creoles. The dual purpose (meat and eggs) are raised outside.

7. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine are in the barn with a heat lamp. A garage would work, too.

8. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Wherever you put them, just make sure it is safe from predators or your other pets (such as dogs or cats). You could certainly use some chicken wire to partition off a safe area for them in the regular coop if you have electricity out there to run the brooder light.

9. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    I have mine in our garden tub in one of the bathrooms. Im using the curtain shower rod to hold the light. Its very easy to move up or down as needed. They seem to be doing great.

10. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    You can put them anywhere you want them, as long as its preditor proof, draft free, and able to keept warm enough for the chicks. No Chicks in the house is the rule here.
    Mine are on one side of the coop, with a heat lamp till they are old enough to be without the heat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by