Do They HAVE to Roost??

After I moved my chicks and ducklings to the coop, they all slept together in the coop nesting boxes. The ducks wouldn't go down or up the ramp, so I made nesting boxes for them under the coop which has two wooden sides for shelter from the weather. Thought the chicks would go up into the coop, but no, they nested in with the ducklings. Each night I had the pop door open and a light on inside the coop for them. It took several nights of cool temps before they finally decided it might be warmer inside the coop and ventured inside. Well, at first they slept huddled together on the floor in one corner for several nights. So, even though I already had two roosts in the coop I decided that they needed one much lower and closer to the floor, so I put another one in. That night I found them huddled together sleeping on it. The next night they were on the next roost higher up, and now they are all on the highest roost that's closest to the light bulb in the roof of the coop. Of course, the night temps in the low 30's was probably the reason they finally moved up to where it was warmer.

With the weather getting colder, maybe a night light bulb hung within 4-5 feet above the roost might entice them to roost there instead of on the floor? It worked for me. Good luck!

Quote:
That is an exceptionally well done roost. Sturdy, comfortable, with wide roost boards. Nice and graduated so that they learn to go higher.
I "train" young pullets on a landscape timer set between two cinder blocks. The "roost" is only 10 or 12" above the ground, but they learn quickly. I can take that away later, nearer point of lay, and they'll move up a higher roost. I still like the stair step, though. Some do not care for jumping high or jumping down from a high point.

Fred's Hens :

Quote:
That is an exceptionally well done roost. Sturdy, comfortable, with wide roost boards. Nice and graduated so that they learn to go higher.
I "train" young pullets on a landscape timer set between two cinder blocks. The "roost" is only 10 or 12" above the ground, but they learn quickly. I can take that away later, nearer point of lay, and they'll move up a higher roost. I still like the stair step, though. Some do not care for jumping high or jumping down from a high point.

Thank you, I passed that along to my husband
smile.png
He didn't want chickens, but sure is doing an awesome job of building whatever I need! I wanted a stair step like that because a few of the girls are larger (Jersey Giants, Brahmas) and I had read that you should give them something to hop onto rather than just onto the ground. The higher bar isn't that high though, so I think they'd probably still be okay.​

From the pic it seems too big or slippery for their lil feet, imo. try using a tree branch(with bark on). mine are so picky that each breed prefers a different height, width, etc. my young Silkies love to perch but it has to be like 1 inch off the ground, hehe. but ive noticed they all definitely prefer straight tree branches at least 1/2 inch thick with the bark on, the bark helps them to catch on, stabilize and balance, and that flat bare wood looks slippery! they'll snuggle together on the perch for warmth too.

I've had similar experiences... My two Orpington hens and Welsummer hens roost every night in their coop. My Cochins are about half-and-half. I find them roosting during the day often, but sometimes after dark I have found them all sleeping on the floor of the coop. Other times I find everyone on the roost! I just say whatever floats their little boats.
smile.png

I've noticed mine dont get used when the boards are flat like that. I turn mine up so they can grip on to it with their feet, otherwise they are just standing on a thin platform. They like to hold the roost with their feet clenched around it. Also Ive had both ways in 1 growout coop and they wouldn't sleep on the wide one.

Just an update - we have ROOSTING!!!!
celebrate.gif
I went out a couple of nights again and moved them, two nights in a row. When I went out to check on them tonight, they were all on the top roost
big_smile.png
Well, all that is except for Ruby the RIR. She was sleeping by herself on top of one of the nest boxes, which are across from the roosts. Wonder if she got kicked off? Poor thing! She's so sweet, but definitely at the bottom of the pecking order!

Back
Top Bottom