Do they look ready to eat?!

Quote:
The legs are more yellow than they appear in the pic. I got them from a nearby farmer who is selling his farm and his whole flock of birds. They were 4 weeks old when I got them, I want to say Mt. Healthy but McMurray sounds right too, we talked about both places for my future use but now I can't remember where these came from. I guess I'm no help at all. Sorry!
idunno.gif

Quote:
We started caliing ours.....nugget, tender, filet, dumplins, crispy, original, fried etc. It is sorta funny.
gig.gif

My husband wanted to name my precious chicks...

Delicious and Delectable, Sandwich and Soup...

How can you do that???
hit.gif
hit.gif
Those chickens were little baby chicks. You raised them up like they were your own little babies, right? Now, you are just gonna eat them??
hit.gif
How can you!!!??? I just don't understand how you meat eaters(no offense) can go and look at a chicken that you raised since it was a baby, raised it and cared for it, and now say, "I bet that chicken will taste really yummy!"
smack.gif
I just don't understand.... It's so sad and strange how humans act these days.
So, my own humane response is they should never be ready to eat(a.k.a be killed). It's like asking you, "When will you be ready to be killed?" and your answer is probably something like, "I don't want to be killed! You crazy??? I want to die naturally." So, why can't those chicks have the same answer? I think they shuld have the right to die naturally too, not die by having their heads cut off. That's just my humane response, straight from my heart.
smile.png
I am not trying to be rude, just curious to know how you can kill and proudly eat those chickens, after you raised them.
hu.gif
idunno.gif

no offense to the Vegan writer, but why would you even look into a post titled "Meat birds"? what would you expect us to be writing about?
we are naturally born carnivores - and we choose to be - the same as you choose to be a vegan.

please do unto others as you would have done unto you

Quote:
I'm sure you realize that you're a vegetarian posting in the "meat bird" forum, but you were generally pleasant, so I will try to be as well (and so should everyone else).

Most of the world is not vegetarian, so let's begin there. Anyone who eats meat of any kind should not have a problem raising an animal for meat. Do we sometimes get attached? Certainly. Do we try to provide these animals with a good life? Certainly. Isn't it better to simply buy a chicken from the store? Certainly not.

Folks here raise their own chickens for a variety of reasons, ranging from better health benefits of raising your own meat, quality of life (for them and their chickens), and money. There are probalby other reasons as well, and for me, it's some sort of combination of all of the above.

Humans have raised food animals for thousands of years, in all cultures. It's not something new.
lol.png
We give them a good life (and death) and in return, they feed us. In some sense, it's in their best interest as a species; imagine what would happen to the world chicken population if we all stopped eating chickens and eggs. Domesticated animals generally do have a much better life (and death) than their wild counterparts. Is it as exciting? Probably not, but I don't think you would prefer to have to search for your own food simply to survive, either. In the wild, a chicken would be under constant threat of attack from all sorts of predators. With domesticated chickens, it's quick.

Newb to the forum warning....

I can somewhat understand where 77 is coming from except for the fact that I AM a meateater. I loves me some chicken!...so long as I don't have to be the one to kill it...or pluck it. I'll cook it. I am an animal lover. I have never killed a chicken in my life...well once, but it was an accident, and I was only 6. I have however killed a squirrel and cleaned and cooked it, and I've helped butcher many deer too. Cept for the head part, I'm excused from that.

However I am in the meat eater section because I plan to attempt to start hatching. I know from past experience that not all of your kids grow up to be pullets. In fact, the odds are stacked more towards roos (in my experience). We all know that too many roos in the flock is a bad thing so we might as well eat them huh?

I probably will eventually come around to being able to at least pluck them. My husband will have to do the dirty deed though....on the other side of the yard...where none of my featherbabies will ever fall witness!

I would give them another couple of weeks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom