Do turkeys attack strangers?

outofthereality

Chirping
May 9, 2020
Hey y’all,

I’m just curious, I have a Couple backyard turkeys. They seem to be fine with me when I’m outside but I was wondering will they attack strangers who they don’t recognize? I had someone jump into my yard( don’t know this person) idk if they’re trying to steal my animals or break in. Either way, I see my turkeys (on camera) in fight position and gobbling at him. Seem he left and my two male turkeys fly out of their fence (they’re free range) and are roaming around my house lol. I didn’t get see the full video since it went to a blind spot. I come later and see the two males running up to me. I haven’t experience that before. Curious will they attack strangers!

Hey y’all,

I’m just curious, I have a Couple backyard turkeys. They seem to be fine with me when I’m outside but I was wondering will they attack strangers who they don’t recognize? I had someone jump into my yard( don’t know this person) idk if they’re trying to steal my animals or break in. Either way, I see my turkeys (on camera) in fight position and gobbling at him. Seem he left and my two male turkeys fly out of their fence (they’re free range) and are roaming around my house lol. I didn’t get see the full video since it went to a blind spot. I come later and see the two males running up to me. I haven’t experience that before. Curious will they attack strangers!
If your turkeys are human imprinted they certainly may attack strangers.

I go out of my way to make sure that my turkeys do not get human imprinted. My turkeys will not approach people at all.

If your turkeys are human imprinted they certainly may attack strangers.

I go out of my way to make sure that my turkeys do not get human imprinted. My turkeys will not approach people at all.
I don’t have any turkeys, but I am considering getting some.
I have been reading about them on BYC to help me understand what is involved with keeping turkeys.
Why do you not want them to get human imprinted.
I’m wondering if it is because you are raising them for meat?

I don’t have any turkeys, but I am considering getting some.
I have been reading about them on BYC to help me understand what is involved with keeping turkeys.
Why do you not want them to get human imprinted.
I’m wondering if it is because you are raising them for meat?
All the human aggressive turkeys I have had to deal with have been human imprinted. I have no use for any human aggressive animals no matter what species they are. I do not imprint my turkeys and they will not even approach people. They don't get underfoot and in the way. They don't steal tools or peck at jewelry on people.

They act like real turkeys. They are not pets.

I originally got turkeys for grasshopper control. They can do an impressive job controlling a grasshopper population.

I don't raise my turkeys for meat but don't have any problem with others buying them to eat.

All the human aggressive turkeys I have had to deal with have been human imprinted. I have no use for any human aggressive animals no matter what species they are. I do not imprint my turkeys and they will not even approach people. They don't get underfoot and in the way. They don't steal tools or peck at jewelry on people.

They act like real turkeys. They are not pets.

I originally got turkeys for grasshopper control. They can do an impressive job controlling a grasshopper population.

I don't raise my turkeys for meat but don't have any problem with others buying them to eat.
Thank you so much! I agree 100% about not having any critter that is aggressive to humans. I have successfully become dominant with an aggressive rooster by forcing him to submit. Multiple times over a few weeks while penned up. I would think that a tom is too big to do that with.
Thank you again, the more I learn the better for making my turkey decisions.

Thank you so much! I agree 100% about not having any critter that is aggressive to humans. I have successfully become dominant with an aggressive rooster by forcing him to submit. Multiple times over a few weeks while penned up. I would think that a tom is too big to do that with.
Thank you again, the more I learn the better for making my turkey decisions.
An adult human aggressive tom turkey can be a very dangerous animal.

I don't imprint chickens either. I have never had a human aggressive rooster. If I did ever get a human aggressive rooster, I would invite it to be the guest of honor at the dinner table.

turkeys can be very mild and friendly without being human imprinted. Ours came when called, didn't get overstressed when handled, walked around being turkeys. broody turkeys can pinch you with that rattlesnake-like lunge they do, serves you right for trying to mess with her babes(or eggs)in her face. 😂 But they will also bring their wee ones to sit by the campfire with you and believe it or not, poults are much wiser than chicks, poults never capitulate, trying to throw themselves into the flames, like chicks will. They are ppl friendly without thinking they are people IF they are not imprinted and you spend a bit of time with them, speaking to them calmly.

I sell my birds on Craigs list.It helps pay for my high feed bills. At first I got a bunch of people who wanted my address and then not show up for the sale but in the middle of the night they think they will help themselves. We now meet in public places for all sales, and no compromises. But those who think they are going to come and get free birds, have the following to contend with: The geese start with their screeching loudly which wakes everyone up, including all my neighbors and their dawgs. The ducks join in on the loud squawking. The turkeys bust out of their pen easily even though they are usually content to stay put. All the motion sensing lights are flooding the yard. There winds up turkey feathers everywhere but no one is injured with the exception of what we thought was another pesky predator. My turkeys will usually go for the face. Mine are Midget whites and yes they can fly high! We have no trespassing signs posted everywhere and all directions. My son shows up with the shotgun ready to kill the predator who thinks they're going to get one of our babies.The guy with a bloodied face looked like he might have wet his pants although he could have bumped into a 55 gallon waterer. He took a nosedive for the car in waiting running out front. We post no trespassers so we expect none. We do expect predators and we trap and kill them as soon as we know they are trapped so they do not suffer. It's illegal here to release raccoons back into the wild. We don't hold a bit of affection for possums either. Possums will chew a hole into your coop and stuff themselves so full on your birds that they can't get out of the hole they chewed so they sit waiting for you in the morning to let your birds out. Raccoons on the other hand will reach inside of your fence and grab a tasty pullet and drag her leg out of the fence and start eating her while she is still alive. Rat snakes will hide in the thick leaf cover and if you have a young rooster pass by there's one big rustle of leaves and one squawk and he's gone too. We wage war on predators. And we just hope we never have to deal with any more two legged predators.

I sell my birds on Craigs list.It helps pay for my high feed bills. At first I got a bunch of people who wanted my address and then not show up for the sale but in the middle of the night they think they will help themselves. We now meet in public places for all sales, and no compromises. But those who think they are going to come and get free birds, have the following to contend with: The geese start with their screeching loudly which wakes everyone up, including all my neighbors and their dawgs. The ducks join in on the loud squawking. The turkeys bust out of their pen easily even though they are usually content to stay put. All the motion sensing lights are flooding the yard. There winds up turkey feathers everywhere but no one is injured with the exception of what we thought was another pesky predator. My turkeys will usually go for the face. Mine are Midget whites and yes they can fly high! We have no trespassing signs posted everywhere and all directions. My son shows up with the shotgun ready to kill the predator who thinks they're going to get one of our babies.The guy with a bloodied face looked like he might have wet his pants although he could have bumped into a 55 gallon waterer. He took a nosedive for the car in waiting running out front. We post no trespassers so we expect none. We do expect predators and we trap and kill them as soon as we know they are trapped so they do not suffer. It's illegal here to release raccoons back into the wild. We don't hold a bit of affection for possums either. Possums will chew a hole into your coop and stuff themselves so full on your birds that they can't get out of the hole they chewed so they sit waiting for you in the morning to let your birds out. Raccoons on the other hand will reach inside of your fence and grab a tasty pullet and drag her leg out of the fence and start eating her while she is still alive. Rat snakes will hide in the thick leaf cover and if you have a young rooster pass by there's one big rustle of leaves and one squawk and he's gone too. We wage war on predators. And we just hope we never have to deal with any more two legged predators.
Sounds like "Come N Getem" Ranch! (If you dare!) You certainly do sound prepared, good for you!

Back
Top Bottom