Do turkeys catch colds; sneeze runny nose?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by laturcotte1, Nov 2, 2012.

1. laturcotte1

laturcotte1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Just as I was walking out of Jacks coop he sneezed, just a tiny little bit but it was definately a sneeze. I got up closer and sure enough he has a runny nose. Do they catch the common cold or could this be the start of something worse. Is there something I can give him now before it gets worse. If it gets worse what should i do? I turned his heat lamp on in case he wants to get under it. If my kids could hear me they'd say, "You'd tell us to buck up, shake it off." [​IMG]

2. kellysmall87

kellysmall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

I know for sure that Chickens catch colds, so yes I would be 99.999% sure that Turkeys can too. Usually with chickens, I give tonic/apple cider vinegar in their water etc... this helps them to fight it off. Hope that helps. x

3. laturcotte1

May 22, 2010
    Thanks so much. How much apple cider vinegar per gallon? What is tonic? Again thanks so much for resonding.

4. laturcotte1

May 22, 2010
    Got it. 1 tbsp to 1 gallon.

5. frank53061

frank53061 Chillin' With My Peeps

As a preventive I used the apple cider and spotted a runny beak from time to time but I think it helped as a preventive to keep them healthy.
    I started with 17 Red Bourbon Poults and at 9 months still have 17.

6. kellysmall87

kellysmall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

No problem. Tonic is vitamin laden liquid, like the apple cider vinegar. I may go and put some in my chickens water before winter gets here, give them a boost! :) Is he any better yet? x

7. laturcotte1

May 22, 2010
    Just gave it to him last night. I bought the ACV and couldn't open it, literally, I couldn't open it. waited for my husband to come home and he had to saw the bottle (plastic) open, luckily it wasn't glass. I swear they super glued the top on. So I just got it into his water late last night after he was in bed. His first dose was probably this morning.

8. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by