do u ever turn off ur brooder heat lamp?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gutfiddle, Feb 22, 2011.

1. gutfiddle

gutfiddle Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    Mulberry
    I did for just a few minutes today, I'm in central florida and right now the lows are in the high fifties and highs in the low eighties. My chicks are just under 3 weeks old and are doing very well. When I turned the lamp off they instantly bunched together and went to sleep. Should I give them a break and let them get some shut eye during the day? I turned it back on so they could stay warm at night. Thanks for any advice!

here they are w/ some greens w/ the heat lamp turned off

[​IMG]

here they are roosting w/ the lamp on

[​IMG]

2. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    When it gets really hot, I turn off the lamp for about an hour or so and turn it on during the night.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks &amp; Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If the daytime temps. are where they need to be per the chicks age and they appear comfortable - not peeping loudly and piling up on each other - go ahead and turn it off during the day, back on in the evening. Three week old chicks can tolerate 80 degrees or a bit lower just fine.

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

By three weeks I usually have them outside, and they run around in all weather, but they can go back under the lamp when they choose/need to.

If it's 80ish in your brooder without the lamp then yes, I'd let them do without for a few hours, unless they start piling on each other. They may have thought it was night when the light went out [​IMG]

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

At four weeks and weather permitting, I also lower the wattage. Starting out with the traditional 250 but work down to a 150 watt version. Doesn't have to be an either/or, on or off.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks &amp; Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:My chicks have been outside with mama since they were a week old and you know we had those cold days. I was amazed at how little time they spent under mama warming up. Most of the time they're in perpetual motion.

7. gutfiddle

gutfiddle Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    Mulberry
    right now i have half of the brooder blocked off so they are always under heat but i think i'm gonna open it up and let them have free run of it and also give them some grass time. [​IMG]

8. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    I turn it off for most of the day (temps range from 75 to 85) but it is always on at night, also someone is always home (5 adults working in a home office) so I am not worried about them getting cold and no body being there to help them.

9. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    It's still too cold here for me to turn the lamp off for any long length of time.
    But while I'm sitting watching them sometimes I'll turn it off just to add some variety to their little lives.
    I don't leave it off long so that it cools off too much.

[​IMG]

10. hansolo

hansolo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Fremont, CA
    I learned from somebody on this forum, to use a heat emitter instead of a red bulb lamp. The heat emitter does not introduce light, so they sleep much better at night.
    It is tested and true.
    Thanks to the person who posted here!
    and the heat emitter will fit with the lamp, just replace the red bulb.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by