do u ever turn off ur brooder heat lamp?

gutfiddle

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 21, 2010
Mulberry
I did for just a few minutes today, I'm in central florida and right now the lows are in the high fifties and highs in the low eighties. My chicks are just under 3 weeks old and are doing very well. When I turned the lamp off they instantly bunched together and went to sleep. Should I give them a break and let them get some shut eye during the day? I turned it back on so they could stay warm at night. Thanks for any advice!

here they are w/ some greens w/ the heat lamp turned off

63685_greens.jpg

here they are roosting w/ the lamp on

63685_roosting.jpg

If the daytime temps. are where they need to be per the chicks age and they appear comfortable - not peeping loudly and piling up on each other - go ahead and turn it off during the day, back on in the evening. Three week old chicks can tolerate 80 degrees or a bit lower just fine.

By three weeks I usually have them outside, and they run around in all weather, but they can go back under the lamp when they choose/need to.

If it's 80ish in your brooder without the lamp then yes, I'd let them do without for a few hours, unless they start piling on each other. They may have thought it was night when the light went out
lol.png

Quote:
My chicks have been outside with mama since they were a week old and you know we had those cold days. I was amazed at how little time they spent under mama warming up. Most of the time they're in perpetual motion.

right now i have half of the brooder blocked off so they are always under heat but i think i'm gonna open it up and let them have free run of it and also give them some grass time.
wink.png

I turn it off for most of the day (temps range from 75 to 85) but it is always on at night, also someone is always home (5 adults working in a home office) so I am not worried about them getting cold and no body being there to help them.

It's still too cold here for me to turn the lamp off for any long length of time.
But while I'm sitting watching them sometimes I'll turn it off just to add some variety to their little lives.
I don't leave it off long so that it cools off too much.

smile.png

I learned from somebody on this forum, to use a heat emitter instead of a red bulb lamp. The heat emitter does not introduce light, so they sleep much better at night.
It is tested and true.
Thanks to the person who posted here!
and the heat emitter will fit with the lamp, just replace the red bulb.

Back
Top Bottom