Do we have a bully?

jpfenimore

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 26, 2014
La Honda, California
Hi -

I've read some of the other threads on bullying, but they all appear to be related to adding new girls to an existing flock. Our problem is a little different.

We have 4 roughly 5-month old girls who have grown up together since we got them when they were only a few days old. (1 each Ameracauna, Brown Leghorn, Deleware and Buff Orpington). We are new to chicken raising so it's been hard for us to figure out the pecking order but lately we are seeing some very obvious behavior by the Brown Leghorn towards the Delaware. She chases her without provocation, pecks at her and nips her feathers for what appears to be no reason at all. She displays none of this behavior towards any of the other girls. Is she a bully? Or is this part of the girls establishing their pecking order? We do see some more subtle pecking order behavior among the other girls but it's not as aggressive.

If it's relevant, 3 of the four just started laying last week, including these two. (Our Ameracauna has not laid yet nor is she involved in this behavior)

Any advice would be much appreciated?

Thanks,
Jamie

It may just be the pecking order adjusting. Perhaps your Leghorn had a fight with the Delware and won, so is now asserting her dominance. Give it a couple of weeks. If no blood is drawn, I wouldn't worry. If it doesnt stop in a few weeks you could separate the bully for a week or two and then introduce her back into the flock.

Thank you Johnn. They seem to be getting along a little better today. I also noticed Mary Ann (the bully) is a bit of a nesting box hog! We have two, but all four of them seem to only want to use the same one. After announcing an egg several times this morning, I saw Ethel (not the one being bullied) go in and yell at her to get out already so that she could use the box. I guess they are all still figuring out their places. Such funny little creatures! :)

Thank you Johnn. They seem to be getting along a little better today. I also noticed Mary Ann (the bully) is a bit of a nesting box hog! We have two, but all four of them seem to only want to use the same one. After announcing an egg several times this morning, I saw Ethel (not the one being bullied) go in and yell at her to get out already so that she could use the box. I guess they are all still figuring out their places. Such funny little creatures! :)
Glad they are getting better. I do have some that are just generally nasty though! But they haven't really hurt anyone so I don't mind!

Back
Top Bottom