Do we interfere/worry too much these days?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by HollyWoozle, Sep 18, 2018.

1. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Pullarius

Aug 1, 2015
    My Coop
    Chicken shoes? Never seen those.

townchicks and Chick-N-Fun like this.
  2. SeramaMamma

SeramaMamma Songster

Jul 12, 2017
    Idaho
    As far as broodies go- they're still the best way. I get the best hatch rate on my Serama under a real mom. So when my Cochin's and silkies sit down to do what they do, I give them a pile of teeny eggs. Right now I have a teeny (oh so teeny!) Serama following a silkie hen around and a Cochin on a mountain of eggs. Serama are hard to hatch. Real hens know how to do it best.

3. SeramaMamma

SeramaMamma Songster

Jul 12, 2017
    Idaho
    I've got no issue with chicken diapers and saddles. I use diapers on house roosters myself, and saddles are valuable to protect hens while they heal up so they don't get an infection.

townchicks and Chick-N-Fun like this.
  4. roosterhavoc

roosterhavoc Free Ranging

Jan 5, 2012
    I have no idea what a house rooster is. As for the saddles there’s either not enough hens, the roosters spurs need cut off so they’re blunt, roosters nails trimmed or the rooster needs his head knocked off.
    There’s so many issues on here with mean roosters. Does anyone wonder why? It’s most likely because they are hatchery birds where the most aggressive mean roosters are the ones who get to breed. They easily run off the inferior.

5. roosterhavoc

Jan 5, 2012
    I have a yard full of penned pairs of chickens. There is not a single hen that’s barebacked. 1 rooster per 1 hen.

6. imneva

imneva Songster

Apr 9, 2018
    north central Wv
    I Wish there was a love button for some of these responses!

7. imneva

imneva Songster

Apr 9, 2018
    north central Wv
    Wait whaaaaat?? Shoes foe chickens??? And clothes??? Wow

Shadrach and townchicks like this.
  8. roosterhavoc

Jan 5, 2012
    Yep they’re called birdy booties. I’m all for making money but what’s next?

townchicks, Chick-N-Fun and imneva like this.
  9. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Corning, NY
    Just like any of my other animals....dogs, cats and horses.....every chicken that lives on my family farm deserves the best quality of life and care that i can give them. It is my responsibility as a chicken owner to provide the best care and essentials to make their lives as happy and pain-free as possible.

The “ just a chicken “ attitude is pure ignorance, in my honest opinion. They may have one time been a staple to provide food to families, but nowadays, people are finally discovering the other benefits that they provide. My flock provides my family with so much joy and they deserve the best treatment that we can provide for them. Some may call it spoiling, or even over the top......i just call it an excellent quality of life. ❤️

10. 123RedBeard

123RedBeard Crowing

Oct 20, 2014
    Arizona
    While a broodie may very well do a "better job" ... more than one broodie has walked off the nest at 19 days ... Or killed the little fuzzy chirpy buggers attacking her! Or ... a critter comes in and kills her while she is sitting on the nest? Then whatcha gonna do for your replacement flock?

What if you need 50 birds for freezer camp participants? Good luck on getting your broodies to cooperate!

I'm not in favor of "helping" a Chick out of a shell either ... if it is that needy of help, what's it gonna do the rest of its life?

Chick-N-Fun and BantyChooks like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: