Do we interfere/worry too much these days?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by HollyWoozle, Sep 18, 2018.

1. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Enabler

They never got any more bird's. They gave up on them. I will not let mine free range. I refuse to walk over 3 1/2 acres just to find out where one of the hen's might be hiding a nest! I will bring the weed's and bugs to them. They have a big covered safe run to play around in. If anything will get attacked here, it will be my extra roo's. It's been too hot to butcher them.

townchicks and Chick-N-Fun like this.
  2. sawilliams

sawilliams Songster

Nov 12, 2015
    Nor Cal
    Wow this thread got off topic

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Not really...not quite as much as the recent 'old fashioned' one did..
    Course most threads go off topic on BYC. SMH.

4. roosterhavoc

roosterhavoc Free Ranging

Jan 5, 2012
    I don’t see how it’s off topic at all.
    It’s pretty much about “helicopter chicken owners”. Overprotective instead of letting chickens be chickens. They do best scratching in the grass, picking up their own grit, chasing grashoppers etc.
    Or they can be kept in a “big” run standing in their own crap while people bring “treats” to them.
    Maybe I should just get a purse and carry around my favorite chicken with me.

5. sawilliams

sawilliams Songster

Nov 12, 2015
    Nor Cal
    Well I must not read any of those threads then

Chick-N-Fun likes this.
  6. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Enabler

To each their own. I won't tell you not to free-range yours, and you don't tell me to free-range mine!

7. roosterhavoc

Jan 5, 2012
    Haha I’m not telling you to free range your birds. I’m saying what’s best for a chicken. I have a bunch of penned birds and also a bunch free ranging.

8. SeramaMamma

SeramaMamma Songster

Jul 12, 2017
    Idaho
    Give it a try the chicken might like it :p My little serama beep who doesn't actually know he's a chicken likes to go in the jeep.

9. Chullicken

Chullicken Songster

Apr 10, 2016
    Dorchester, NH
    I really think as people (Humans) those that keep animals and fowl as pets tend to apply human emotions and conditions to our animals really not thinking or fully aware that we do it. It makes US feel better, does it make them really feel any better? That's perspective from person to person. Granddaddies had their own unique and separate issues back in the day, don't let memories fool you. It just may not have been as transparent when you're not really looking to see it. Coming back to the present, the chicken backyard flock idea has become a very trendy thing to do and talk about. Very commercialized and that very commercialization and increase in disposable income, media exposure, literature, internet groups etc. (Very limited for both back when) have really in a way like news broadcasts to a mindset 'We need this' 'Oh this will make them love me' 'My lady Queen Feather Butt would look great in an ugly Christmas sweater on her new chicken leash'. I'm a victim of it, I went to college for agriculture and I know better. Yet, it makes me feel better thinking I make them feel better. Do we as livestock keepers do too much? Yeah, I think we do. Does it really hurt anything? I don't know, doesn't seem to so what's the harm in it.

10. roosterhavoc

Jan 5, 2012
    Like this? Lol
    B9DCA3EB-7DB1-4566-8670-4CD62A9145CC.jpeg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: