Do we interfere/worry too much these days?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by HollyWoozle, Sep 18, 2018.

1. SeramaMamma

SeramaMamma Songster

Jul 12, 2017
    Idaho
    Lol not quite

Chick-N-Fun and townchicks like this.
  2. Like it or not chickens are not natural organisms. They depend somewhat on humans for food, safety and reproductive success.

In a broiler/fryer operation one of the most important tools or peices of equipment is a piece of wood known as a "Killing Stick" The large scale farmers who raises chickens raise them for Tyson, Conagra, and other meat chicken production companies. These companies are known as Integrators. The Integrators provide the feed, and the baby chickens while the chicken farmers provides the land, the housing, the equipment, the water, the litter, and of course the labor needed to raise these chickens.

The integrators and the farmers are both under contract. As part of that contract the farmer receives a bonus for raising an above average number of friars and he also receives a bonus if he manages to raise these chickens on a lower average amount of the integrators chick food. But the farmer always walks around with a kill stick in his overalls' pocket. Remember this is a flock of chickens that usually have been vaccinated against almost every danger this side of ALIEN ABDUCTION.

Do with your chickens in whatever method that you like but remember that at the end of the day that each individual chickens' life is unimportant, only the continued existence of the flock matters. That can not be planned for or legislated against. Like it or not it is a fact of life (or death)

As a good example of how hopeless I feel about some of the posts I read here, creosote is a great way to prevent Red Mites from colonizing your coop or other housing facilities. But I highly doubt that you can even purchase creosote these days, especially in Western Societies. Just don't paint your nest with creosote or other oily substances, and that means that you should never use pine shavings (especially fresh pine shavings) in a hen nest that you plan to use to incubate in using a mother hen as your heat source. The turpentine in fresh pine shavings will block the pores in the eggshell and suffocate the developing chick.

Chick-N-Fun, townchicks and BlueBaby like this.
  3. lovingmyhens

lovingmyhens Songster

Oct 20, 2013
    Houston, Texas
    :yesss:

Chick-N-Fun likes this.
  4. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    What happened then? Did you miss the dog owners?

5. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Enabler

No, not at all! The dog owner's moved to someplace in California. We have new neighbor's now and they put up a fence for their yard. They seem like nice people, and they don't keep a pile of trash in the yard. No starving dog's there!

Chick-N-Fun likes this.
  6. HollyWoozle

HollyWoozle Chirping

Jun 12, 2018
    United Kingdom
    My uncle and my boyfriend both suggested creosote as I have been battling an ongoing red mite problem, perpetuated by the hot summer we have had here, but I read several posts saying how long the chickens have to be kept out of the coop, how it can be dangerous etc. that it put me off! I don't think it's that difficult to buy here in the UK and my grandad certainly used it with great success.

On the bright side I do think I am now on top of the mite problem anyhow, plus the weather has turned which will also help.

I don't think the thread has gone off topic and I'm really interested by all the different responses. Regarding the posts about incubators, my mum bred some chicks here this last summer (needlessly I might add) and everything went very well the natural way. A hen disappeared and we found her a fair while later on 16 eggs in the hedge and my mum couldn't bring herself to take the eggs away, so she was moved to a small coop/run set-up and 12 hatched and all grew up fine. Mother hen dealt entirely with their needs (obviously we provided shelter, water and food) and also with their integration into the flock.

I am trying my best to stick with simple care for our flock whilst also taking into account modern improvements to methods, equipment and so on. It's a fine line! We definitely screwed up with our cockerel as he wounded hens, but they are recovering well and he has been trimmed up which I hope will fix the problem. Otherwise he will have to go. It has been a valuable lesson and I feel for the poor hens but they are bright in spirit and I think will be OK (rooster in question has a nice temperament but I guess bad technique and needed a pedicure).

7. townchicks

townchicks Free Ranging

Dec 1, 2016
    Contra Costa county, Ca.
    LOL, I got it, anyways.

Chick-N-Fun and Shadrach like this.
  8. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    ;)

9. If your goal is to raise a lot of chickens then by all means buy a good mechanical hen. If your goal is to enjoy raising chickens than the old fashion method (setting hen) is the way to go.

Always be sure to make and have plenty of coops, pens, runs, or walks on hand because it is no fun trying to stuff chickens under water buckets, in golf bags, etc to create emergency "housing"

10. janiedoe

janiedoe Songster

May 7, 2017
    East Texas
    OMG! Your so me! I was just sitting here at 3:30 A.M. thinking the same EXACT thing. My grandparents and my parents had chicken, ducks, turkeys. They didn't have coops, just barns. They didn't have runs. They didn't treat for anything as far as I can remember. On the other hand, I don't believe that they found the pleasure in chicken keeping that I do. My are pets and their's were farm animals and I think that's okay.
    Enjoy your chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: