Do we need to insulate ?

Imapopof4chicks

Hatching
Oct 19, 2020
Hello all its our very first winter having chickens and we are in love ! We built our coop with no plans just a bunch of YouTube videos lol. We Live in northwest Indiana and like most we want to keep the girls safe and warm , any advise would be greatly appreciated. Oh yea I forgot we got our first egg yesterday and one today 🥳 🎊 🎉

Attachments

• 20200907_192710.jpg
    20200907_192710.jpg
    658.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 20200807_110528.jpg
    20200807_110528.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • 20200627_003231.jpg
    20200627_003231.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200627_003226.jpg
    20200627_003226.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200522_203146.jpg
    20200522_203146.jpg
    373.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Hello all its our very first winter having chickens and we are in love ! We built our coop with no plans just a bunch of YouTube videos lol. We Live in northwest Indiana and like most we want to keep the girls safe and warm , any advise would be greatly appreciated.
I like your coop setup, you've done a great job!
How many chickens do you have? They would usually snuggle together and keep each other warm in Winter. If you get cold winds then you could cover top and sides of your run with clear tarp, like a greenhouse effect - but make sure you have adequate ventilation still.

I like your coop setup, you've done a great job!
How many chickens do you have? They would usually snuggle together and keep each other warm in Winter. If you get cold winds then you could cover top and sides of your run with clear tarp, like a greenhouse effect - but make sure you have adequate ventilation still.
We have four in total 2 Barred Rocks and 2 Buffs. Thanks we appreciate it we are still adding stuff seems like daily to keep em safe. ( Crazy Ass ) chicken people lol

You do not need to insulate and will provide a nice cozy place for mice and other critters to nest if you do.

You do need to worry about proper ventilation (1 sq foot per bird) AND ensuring that the chicks have a place to roost that is out of any drafts that will be created by the ventilation. Also DO NOT provide any artificial heat, they are well equipped to keep themselves warm down to -25 -30C without issues (ask me how I know, see my location). Make sure they have ample feed with proper balance of nutrients and an extra % of protein during the winter months.

I see a fan? I assume that you use that during the hot months? Of course ensure that it does not blow on the birds in colder temperatures.

Good luck, enjoy.

You do not need to insulate and will provide a nice cozy place for mice and other critters to nest if you do.

You do need to worry about proper ventilation (1 sq foot per bird) AND ensuring that the chicks have a place to roost that is out of any drafts that will be created by the ventilation. Also DO NOT provide any artificial heat, they are well equipped to keep themselves warm down to -25 -30C without issues (ask me how I know, see my location). Make sure they have ample feed with proper balance of nutrients and an extra % of protein during the winter months.

I see a fan? I assume that you use that during the hot months? Of course ensure that it does not blow on the birds in colder temperatures.

Good luck, enjoy.
We took the fan out it was just for the summer. Thanks !

Back
Top Bottom