Do you add supplements and or electrolytes?

TheMoodyHere

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 2, 2013
I was wondering if you add supplements and or electrolytes to your poultry's feed or water. If so when, why and what kind?

With Summer comming I have heard a lot of people talking about electrolytes and it got me wondering how people decide what to add and when to add it. I'd love to hear from you guys about what you do to keep your flock healthy and happy!

I don't give extra supplements or electrolytes. A good feed should have all a healthily chicken needs. I work on preventions for heat problems, shade, ventilation and plenty of water. Of course my climate may be different then yours.

I agree with Den... give them good feed, and if they are free ranging, even if it's just in a back yard, they are really getting some good stuff out there.
I just make sure I have a lot of water out there for them .. everywhere..in the summer heat here in Utah.

I was wondering if you add supplements and or electrolytes to your poultry's feed or water. If so when, why and what kind?

Avian Super Pack (1/4 tsp per gallon of water), Probios Dispersible Powder (1 tsp per gallon) three days a week.

With Summer comming I have heard a lot of people talking about electrolytes and it got me wondering how people decide what to add and when to add it. I'd love to hear from you guys about what you do to keep your flock healthy and happy!

Denn mentioned a few very important needs; shade, good ventilation, and access to water. I prefer use of probiotics on a regular basis. I used to go to the trouble of making wet mash with various additions like non-fat dry milk, yogurt, buttermilk. I still do sometimes. The probiotic water dispersibles make it much easier. Probios actually sweetens the water a bit to balance out the often bitter taste of vitamins-electrolytes in the water. Chickens like that.

Last edited:
They have a large run that they have access to all the time and are released daily into the yard (2 acres fenced in). I have 2 baby pools, and two 5 gallon dog bowls around the yard and 3 waters and a small 'tub' in the run. That's for about 50 chickens and 4 ducks.They have plenty of shade and a large coop. I do need to add some shade to their run though. I do plan to add a fan to their coop this year.

I have never used supplements, my chickens never seemed to need anything, but I wondered if maybe I should be doing adding something anyway.

Last edited:
They have a large run that they have access to all the time and are released daily into the yard (2 acres fenced in). I have 2 baby pools, and two 5 gallon dog bowls around the yard and 3 waters and a small 'tub' in the run. That's for about 50 chickens and 4 ducks.They have plenty of shade and a large coop. I do need to add some shade to their run though. I do plan to add a fan to their coop this year.

I have never used supplements, my chickens never seemed to need anything, but I wondered if maybe I should be doing adding something anyway.

I have many wild birds in my area in addition to deer. I don't like bowls, tubs, open troughs, etc. for that reason. I think a good quality vitamin-electrolyte powder and probiotics are a necessity since feed consumption goes down when the weather is hot. I do it during the winter too since stormy weather can be stressful to birds.

One supplement I give my chickens is apple cider vinegar. Most people give it to their hens it in their drinking water, dosage is about 1 tablespoon per gallon of water. Don't use it in a metal waterer though, it will get ruined. Since the only waterers I have are metal, I mix the ACV in yogurt (it's great for hiding the taste) and feed it to my flock a couple times a week.

Apple cider vinegar is healthy for chicken's respiratory systems. It also thins phlegm and has antibiotic properties. The highly acetic atmosphere that vinegar lends, makes an uncomfortable environment for bacteria. It also helps create a healthy digestive system, boosts immunity, and helps fight dehydration during hot spells.

Last edited:
I had heard about ACV but haven't used it yet. Thanks for the advise.

Last edited:
We have wild birds too but since I have 2 goats and 5 dogs I have to have bowls everyone can use. My 77 year old father lives with me and he takes pleasure in helping. He changes all the water everyday around noon and I change again before dark. With that much fresh water I don't worry about the water being dirty.

Are the probiotics a powder? What exactly do they do?

Are the probiotics a powder? What exactly do they do?
Here's some info on the use of probiotics:
http://poultryone.com/articles/probiotics-html

And another:
http://www.poultryscience.org/ps/paperpdfs/00/ps007.pdf

Apple cider vinegar, if used, must be used in moderation since a bird's digestive system could be overwhelmed by its main ingredient; acetic acid. There are many claims about the use of apple cider vinegar which cannot be validated by any scientific proof.

Back
Top Bottom