Do you enjoy making Jams, Jellies and Marmalade's?

When I do peaches this is how I get the peel to fall right off.

First boil a big pot of water, throw the whole peach in the boiling water for 1 minute ..then take it straight out and drop it into a bowl of ice water. Once it cools back off the peach skin usually slips right off. You can make a small X cut near the bottom to start it off if that helps. If you find the skins not comming off very easy ..try leaving them in the boiling water a little bit longer (30 seconds to a minutes or so) and also leave a little longer in the ice water.

I hope this helps.

By the way here's a peach peel and pit jelly you can make if you get enough leavings.
It sounds nice and I love making stuff from something you would be tossing.

http://www.food.com/recipe/peach-peeling-peach-seed-jelly-41035

That is what I do with my peelings and pits.. then I let the peelings cool after getting the juice and throw them to the chickens!

Hi all, I just made my 1st batch of plum jam. My plums were very ripe (darn tree all the plums ripened at the same time) so I had a ton of liquid. I used a lot of the pectin but the jam in the jars is very liquid-y. I put some in the fridge and that firmed up a bit. Guess next time I need to use fruit that is not so ripe
smile.png

Elizabeth

I use my peach skins for jelly as well although I don't use the pits. I would almost say your plum jam might need to be cooked longer (just guessing). I make jelly and jam from sand plums and I've never used pectin, just equal parts fruit and sugar but it does take a while to cook it to the jellying point. Of course I've made peach jelly using pectin before and it has taken a week for it to actually set up so if it set up in the fridge for you, it will probably go ahead and set up.

I am still waiting on my peach jelly to set. I did use pectin I just didnt cook it very long ( I followed directions for once dur) it said boil 1 minute and now I sit waiting for it to set LOL

While I wait ..I got these beautiful little orange/tangarines at the store the other day on sale because the skins didn't look pretty.
roll.png

I got them home and they were GEORGOUS. Super perfect little bundles of love! So while I was sat waiting and sucking an orange I thought ..You know it's been a few years since I had a 'good marmalade'

Went to the store and bought 2 more packs and ....

Orange Ginger Marmalade is born.

(when I get started on something I go whole hog! LOL)

MANGO CHUTNEY

6 RIPE LARGE MANGOES
6 CLOVES GARLIC,CHOPPED
2 CUPS SUGAR
2 APPLES PEELED AND CHOPPED
12 OUNCES GOLDEN RAISINS
1 TBS MUSTARD SEEDS
1 TBS FINELY CHOPPED GINGER ROOT
2 CUPS WHITE WINE VINEGAR
6 RED CHILES

THROW EVERYTHING IN A STOCK POT
COOK UNTIL A BURNISHED GOLDEN COLOR (30-45 MINUTES)
DON'T OVER COOK IT
PUT IN STERILE JARS
PROCESS FOR 10 MINUTES (I USE A STEAM CANNER AND SQUATTY 1/2 PINT BALL JARS)
LISTEN FOR THE POP

I DOUBLE THE RECIPE...USE FRESH INGREDIENTS, BELEIVE ME YOU CAN TELL THE DIFFERENCE.....IN A PINCH YOU CAN USE WHITE DISTILLED VINEGAR....BUT....
USE GOLDEN RAISINS FOR SURE...CUT A ROUND PEICE OF CLOTH AND TIE IT AROUND THE TOP FOR A REALLY BEAUTIFUL GIFT.
I TOOK THIS TO WORK WITH MY HOME MADE MASCARPONE CHEESE AND DILL TRISCUITS AND HAD THE OTHER NURSES DOING ALL MY WORK IN EXCHANGE FOR THE RECIPES...IF YOU WANT TO MAKE A FABULOUS CHEESE, THIS MASCARPONE TAKES LESS THAN AN HOUR, HANG IT ABOVE THE SINK OVER NIGHT AND YOU'LL BE THE TALK OF YOUR COFFEE CLUTCH....GRAMAKOKO

I am going to try and follow this thread. It seems like some years I make lots of canned things & some years hardly any. This year blackberries were great. We picked about 5-6 gallons. I froze most for cobblers but am going to try & make seedless jam. I have never made seedless jam but I want less seeds in my jam. I have about 2 gallons of berries in the freezer waiting on me to get started. Also I tried freezer jam but did not care for it. Blackberry, peach and raspberry are my favorite jams/butters.

If its not off topic has anyone tried the European canning jars? They are beautiful & I want to try them.

Back
Top Bottom