Do you ever encounter people that don't know where eggs come from?

When we were on our first "egg watch" and no eggs had arrived, a friend asked if maybe we'd gotten a "gay " rooster.
lau.gif

I Have gotten many of the same rooster comments, but the one I didn't expect was that many people think brown eggs come from the farm (or pet chickens) and white eggs come from the store. They don't understand that it is the breed of chicken, not where it is laid that determined the color. I'm starting to think if I had white egg layers and brought in those eggs, people wouldn't believe my chickens laid them.

LOL

lol.png

Liz

No, white eggs come from the egg tree out behind the supermarket! Only brown eggs come from chicken butts!

Quote:
gig.gif

LOL! That's one I haven't heard before!! You would be amazed how disconnected people are, not only with their food, but with nature in general. I work at a zoo and can tell you that people have actually asked me, in all seriousness, where our unicorns are...

Loved the cow breast milk story, too!
lau.gif
You guys are awesome!!

Last edited:
Yep. I’m discovering that most people think their food comes from a grocery store. Case in point:

A few years ago, some “city folk” (no offense to any one living in the city and raising chickens – but these people truly confuse me as to why they moved to the country) bought a few acres down the road from me and built a very nice house. Their two children, a boy age 11 and a little girl age 9, came over not long after moving in and asked if they could see the animals in the barnyard. I welcomed them over anytime. They just loved the chickens! One day, with a smile a mile wide, the boy asked me if he could collect some eggs to take home for breakfast. Of course, I told him, and I handed him my egg basket. He picked out four beautiful eggs, one for each member of his family, and headed home.

An hour later there was a knock on my door and a very sad faced young man told me he had to return the eggs. I figured that maybe his parents thought he took them without asking or were worried about being polite so I assured him that it was quite all right if he and his family kept and enjoyed the eggs. He then told me that his mom said that she didn’t want any eggs that came from chickens in her kitchen.

…and where does she think the eggs that she buys in the grocery store come from? I would have loved to ask, but I had to keep my mouth shut and just accept the four eggs back. I assume the family ate eggs, since the boy asked me if he could take some home for their breakfast!
hu.gif

Some people don't get it. A few family members who were visiting asked what would happen if I put my Seramas in with the chicks. They were rather shocked when I said the grown up birds would probably kill the babies!

Poor ignorant city slickers.

Quote:
LOL

When I was nursing my daughter, I had to during the county fair horse show b/c a girl was injured, show delayed and we ran out of pumped milk. So while I was sitting in the bleachers nursing, a few people stared at me and an older woman suggested I do that in the horse trailer. Before I could reply, my friend's husband shouted at this woman, "Hell, you're at the COUNTY FAIR, lady! How's that any different from what goes on in the dairy barn?" Other than a few adolescent boys trying to get a peep of my breast, no one paid any attention after that

When I had to pump at work, the teenage boys were deathly afraid of my breast milk and wouldn't go in the fridge if it was in there

I used to manage a seasonal dude ranch/hotel up in CO. One year I trained a new accountant who went up there for the season. She was a PHX city slicker for sure.

One day she called and asked if she should be depreciating the new cow they had bought. So I asked if it was for "eatin' or breedin' ". She didn't know, so I told her to go outside find out. 15 minutes later she calls me back and wants to know where it says that on the cow.

I had figured she'd ask the ranch hand that had BOUGHT the cow what he intended to do with it.
smile.png

Realizing this in only going to get funnier, I ask if it is a girl cow or a boy cow. She doesn't know, but wants to know how to tell... :|

So I tell her, she hangs up, and 15 min later calls back.

"Its a boy cow, with extra-long pointy thingies on his head. Like EXTRA long."

At this point I had figured out it was a longhorn the hands were going to breed with our scottish highlanders (which make achingly cute calves). But I messed with her a while longer before I explained she needed to depreciate the bull, not expense it, as we weren't going to eat it....yet.

My city boy husband still has issues with eating eggs. I started my flock almost 5 years ago with eggs I got off e-bay. He was totally fascinated & grossed out that an egg will turn into a chick in 21 days. I don't think he touched an egg for 6 months after that.

Quote:
I did feel much better about collecting eggs when I read up on this anatomy lesson and saw that as the hen laid an egg, the "egg chute" protruded a bit with the egg and that the egg didn't pass through the "poopy chute".

I do think it's funny when people want store eggs because they don't want eggs from chickens or from a chickens butt. Hahaha.

Back
Top Bottom