Do you ever encounter people that don't know where eggs come from?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Happy Chooks, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I had a friend say to me the other day........"my sister just told me that eggs come out of a chickens butt" with this look on her face. [​IMG]

I told her it's a multi purpose opening and everything comes out there. Then I said eggs from the grocery store come from the same place.

It just amazes me that fully grown adults don't know how a chicken makes an egg. (and that you don't need a rooster to get eggs)

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Okay, so a guy goes into a diner and asks what the special of the day is.
    The waitress tells him it's cow tongue and potatoes.
    The guy flips out! Cow tongue! How nasty! You never know where that cow's mouth has been! I'll never eat cow tongue!
    Waitress asks the man what he'd like to order instead.
    He's says just give me an order of bacon and a couple of fried eggs. [​IMG]

My DH is a police officer. Lots of the officers, including the captain (who has arm candy for a wife) order eggs from me.
    The capt.'s wife thinks brown eggs means they are spoiled. [​IMG]

3. henryetta

henryetta Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    san diego, cali
    mostly i get 'the stare' when i tell people i dont have a rooster. They cant believe that i can still get eggs... I am amazed at things "I" didnt know though about some other weard things...Not chicken related of course [​IMG] I do love watching to see how long it takes for they're faces to recover...lol

4. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:[​IMG]

5. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    henryetta........it is funny to watch their facial expressions.

6. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    Ah yes, the eyes "glazing over" look. Priceless! [​IMG]

7. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    You would not believe the number of people out here in 'ranch country' that have NO CLUE about eggs, where they come from, etc. I'm still shocked that people just don't have any idea where most of their food comes from!

8. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I once had two older ladies (50s and 60s), who lived in the country all their lives, argue with me about where eggs come from. They maintained that chickens have a vagina like a human and it is a whole separate opening.

[​IMG]

When I enlightened them about the anatomy of chickens, they swore off ever eating eggs again. One of the ladies went right home and dumped all the deviled eggs she had made for a party!

**edited to remove inappropriate remark**

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2009
  9. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Ignorants. Ah well, some of them are nice, just a bit uneducated.

10. mxpres

mxpres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Lenoir,NC
    with all the educational programs we have in this country and the teaching we have as children,,all the tv,computers,and we have not advanced enough in this country for people to know where the simple egg comes from??,are we really as advanced as we like to think?? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by